FSX error when SQL2008 installed

I have a quad core Intel based machine with 4 GB RAM running Windows 7 64 bit and have just installed FSX Deluxe. The installation went fine, the intro ran without a problem and Free Flight works fine too. Unfortunately whenever I try to go into any of the Missions FSX reports an (unspecified) error and then restarts. When not relaxing I use the machine for development using Visual Studio 2008 and SQL 2008 and so have both of these products installed. Following advice from other places on the Internet I have installed both FSX service packs and also a Microsoft hot fix that was suggested may fix the problem. I think that others are also having a problem getting FSX runing alongside SQL 2008. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can try next (apart from uninstalling SQL2008 - which is not a realistic option) or have had this problem themselves and has overcome it.

Thanks

Wade

OK, is it then installed to E:Program Files (x86)Microsoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator X not just E:Microsoft Games?

Do you have your .spb or .xml files opening with anything other than the default program? That is what the mission is trying to read as it loads /executes.

The .spb complied files are likely to be the culprit.

Sorry - It is a new PC and my last post was from work so I was responding from memory - am in front of the PC now. It is installed on the D: Drive not the E: Drive as I mentioned before but it is installed in "D:Microsoft Flight Simulator X" and not in "D:Program Files (x86)Microsoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator X". Is this a problem?

I do not have any default programmes associated with .spb files and the.xml files are associated with "XML Editor"

Cheers

Wade

Hi Wade,

I am clutching at straws with the directory structure on your D drive, however I used to have FSX in a non-standard location and I did have a few weird problems. If a re-install of FSX is not too inconvenient then I would try that first, when the installer asks the install path just substitute the C: drive with D: but keep the rest of the path the same.

A new thought is try stopping the SQL server (If it is running) before starting FSX?

• 2 weeks later...