Got the letters the wrong way round! :biggrin:

Fixed now

Ah! I had a feeling that's who you meant :clapping:

Mind you, the landing in the video appeared to be successful, have you ever witnesses one of Dai's landings?! :winka:

While we're on the topic of YouTube, is there any practical way to capture a YouTube video as a file that can be played later without being connected?

If so, is it legal?

Looking for a way to capture some YouTube clips to play at our FS club meeting. The wireless internet service in the building is too slow for video and I'd like to play them from files on my laptop.

John

While we're on the topic of YouTube, is there any practical way to capture a YouTube video as a file that can be played later without being connected?

If so, is it legal?

Looking for a way to capture some YouTube clips to play at our FS club meeting. The wireless internet service in the building is too slow for video and I'd like to play them from files on my laptop.

John

Hi John,

I have heard of them but never experienced them first hand. I would be sceptical about their being legal as well...

I suppose you could always e-mail/message in some form or other the author of the video?

If so, is it legal?

John

Hi John, try this.

Download this free .flv file player http://download.cnet.com/FLVPlayer4Free/3000-13632_4-10666532.html?part=dl-6292949&subj=dl&tag=button You need this to play back the file. When installing, pick your options carefully as it will try to install a toolbar as well!

So you go to YouTube and play the video at the quality you want. When playing the video the progress bar should complete before the video. Once the progress bar is complete stay on that page then go to your I.E tools menu Tools > internet options > General tab > Browsing History > Settings > View Files listed here are all your temporary internet files. By sorting the files by time last accessed or file size you should be able to determine which is the YouTube file. Right-click and choose copy. Then paste to your desktop.

Start the .flv file player and watch your video. :stars:

I do not use this player as I have a payware one for my video product but this should still work.

I cannot think of a problem doing this so long as you don't try to make money from it!

Hope this works for you.

Joe

Mut, good advice, and worth knowing, however having done this before for uploading YouTube movies to my mobile, i came to find that there were many apps just for this purpose...

YouTube Downloader HD - this is the best one i tried, has quite a few options for file formats, even standard AVI, playable in Windows Media Player, see the screenshot for some of the options:

youtube-screenshot.gif