Boeing 767 Overhead Project

PLEASE ADD ME AS A FRIEND ON YOUTUBE!!!

Hi everyone,

As per the red title above, I am requesting (if you wish, of course) that you add me as a friend on YouTube.

Why? Within the next month or so, I am considering doing a few Video Update Blogs, instead of the usual text format. However, I do not want anybody willy-nilly viewing these videos (sorry, to many spammers & idiots on YouTube).

So, if you wish to view these videos, please add me as a friend on YouTube. My Youtube account name is "Homerard", link here: http://www.youtube.com/user/Homerard?feature=mhum

Please note, even if you do send me a friend request, it will have to be accepted by me first, so don't worry if you don't get "befriended" straight away.

for those of you who do not have a YouTube account, please do not worry, as I will still post my update blogs in text formatting alongside the videos. I do, however, reccommend getting an account :cool: .

thanks alot,

Jack :whis:

PS: Message also posted in 747 Pedestal Project (IDENTICAL MESSAGES)

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jack can always embed his YouTube videos here too. :whis:

Sure thing Joe, but you'll have to be logged in as friend to Homerard (?).

Hi Jack, I'm not signed up to Youtube, so I will have to settle for viewing via Mut's.

Take care

Brian

Hi Brian,

That is fine, no problems. This is also why I'm keeping the old text formats too, it is good to have a copy in text as well as video.

Think of these upcoming video blogs as "additions", not "replacements". I just think it'll be better to provide a more ineractive experience, but I'm aware alot of you still want to see the text updates :smile: .

BTW: If you do choose to sign up to YT, adding me as a friend once will do it. Just register, log in, and add as friend. This means that you can see my videos all the time, without having to constantly maintain your YT account or anything.

Just a thought, feel free to stick with the texts.

Jack :cool:

25th September 2010

NEW FEATURES:

- *OVERHEAD PANEL FULLY LABELLED*

- IRS KeyPad Installed

- Re-Wired LCD Display, to allow it to be mounted in the overhead (wiring reduced)

- First column completely done in terms of labelling and hardware installation

UPCOMING FEATURES:

- Wiring and connection to Opencockpits Master Card

- Mounting the overhead into my home cockpit!!! :thum:

Pictures:

100_0431.jpg

100_0426.jpg

100_0427.jpg

100_0428.jpg

100_0429.jpg

100_0430.jpg

Thanks,

Jack :cool:

• 1 month later...

8th November 2010

THE FIRST COLUMN HAS BEEN COMPLETELY FINISHED & MOUNTED!!!

Yup. It's finally done. Onto Column two now. But, of course, some pictures first:

Mounted above my head:

100_1236.jpg

100_1237.jpg

The lights are all on in this picture, but see lower down for clearer "night-time" shots:

100_1245.jpg

The wiring:

100_1244.jpg

100_1243.jpg

What happens when a "lights test" (everything on) is activated (photos taken in the dark):

100_1241.jpg

100_1240.jpg

100_1239.jpg

100_1242.jpg

And yes, that is the IRS LCD Display at the top of the Overhead Panel. It is FULLY functional, just like the rest of the overhead, and will react to any changes to the "SYS DSP Knob".

The panel fully works with the Level-D 767 and, when flown at night, on Vatsim, with the Pedestal, Gauges & everything working, the result is just... Stunning! :icon_bowdown:

Regarding a video blog... Yes, one will be posted within the next two weeks regarding the completion and functionality of the first column. However, I've decided to borrow someone else's video camcorder because my Digital Camera is not high-resolution enough alone (thanks for the feedback Brian!).

Any questions, please, please ask.

Jack :icon_thumbup:

Jack,

(and Dad!)

You have done a superb job so far, I can see this is a real technical challenge and you have passed each milestone with flair.

I can see (I think) the way the panels are going to fit into place and I reckon we are all in for an amazing surprise when it's finished icon_bowdown.gif

(Don't let me down now, lead technical member of staff!)

Cheers,

Joe

Jack/Dad, Pure Excellence!

Just spotted your update and it is brilliant. Really inspiring.

I'm still pestering Wifey for a spare site in one of the bedrooms for a future build. Only a GA, maybe a Cessna or similar.

I nearly always get my way........eventually.

Well done again and bring on the next panel.

Kindest regards

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Sunday 28th November

The second video blog has been completed and uploaded! :icon_thumbup:

This blog is 15 Mintues long, and runs through a quick talked-through pre-flight procedure using the first column of the overhead panel. You also get closeups, light tests, and much more.

The proceduer to watch this video is EXACTLY the same as the last video. You'll get a private message (on YouTube)/email link that lets yo uwatch the video. You must have added me as a friend on YouTube.

Enjoy!

Jack

In other news, the second column is progressing nicely. More news very soon (this week).

• 3 weeks later...

20th December 2010

There hasn't been an update in awhile, but fear not!

The reason for the lack of updates is not because we have all disappeared, but more because we are in a very laborious stage.

This fiddly little proportion of the overhead panel (highlighted in red)...

Inun.jpg

...Has done very well in consuming most of our free time. Allow me to explain:

There are twenty annunciators at the top of column 2 (again, see picture above). Each single annunciator takes a good few hours to make - Every annunciator has a casing, which we must affix LEDs inside of, before soldering some circuitry onto the LEDs. Then a layer of perspex covers the top of the casing, before finally (the most difficult stage) the labels are placed on top. If the labels are even a centimetre out, or not aligned properly, problems such as light bleed and blurred text are caused.

The good news, however, is that we have managed to produce over 70% of these twenty annunciators. Furthermore, the result is great. They all work, and, better yet, no light bleed or blurriness.

Here are some pictures of "the workshop":

100_1341.jpg

100_1342.jpg

We're getting into the swing of cockpit building so much so that we've purchased a dedicated drawer-tidy, each filled with every nut, screw, bolt, adhesive, LED, and wire this side of the sun:

100_1343.jpg

I awoke to collect our fresh batch of annunciator casings in the post today:

100_1345.jpg

100_1344.jpg

Hopefully it won't be long now until these are inserted into column 2. The remainder of the second column looks much less difficult, however I'm not saying it won't be an interesting journey!

In other news...

I have added a "Cockpit Resource Centre" at the beginning of both this and the Pedestal thread. It is full of links and other resources that have become extremely useful to me.

Have you missed updates on the Pedestal project? I don't blame you if you have! Luckily for you, the Pedestal is literally getting a Christmas bonus (see the thread stickied atop the General Forum, next to this one)!

Kind regards,

Thursday 23rd December

Display Card breakthrough!

We have finally managed to get a 6-Digit 7-Segment Display Unit to fully work with the Displays Card (kindly supplied for a review by Opencockpits). There will be two of these displays, identical, and they will handle the "HF" (High Frequency) controls on the 767 Overhead.

100_1352.jpg

100_1350.jpg

Wednesday 29th December

I have sucessfully managed to get the 7-Segment Displays Card and Units working and interfaced with the Level-D 767!

The 7-Segment Displays now show accurate and current HF (High-Frequency) Frequencies from the Left hand-side HF Unit. EVvrything is working; even the DP (Decimal Point) at the bottom of Digit 2 is working.

What's more - If I loose power or turn off the battery; my 7-Segment Displays go dead, just as in real life.

My 7-Segment Display Units can show any frequency a real 767 can hold. For example, 15.180, 25.309, 3.900.... Etc.

Please look at the following pictures. The top screenshots are my Simulated Level-D 767 Displays, whilst the bottom ones are my real-life 7-Segment Units. Enjoy!

15180.jpg

151802-1.jpg

2900-1.jpg

29002-1.jpg

25309-1.jpg

253092.jpg

In other news...

We are cracking on with the annunciator "cluster" at the top of Column 2. We're also working on the emergence EVAC panel. An update will be provided soon regarding status.

Regards,

Jack