Slew Mode Problems

I have several utilities that require using Slew Mode to position yourself for this and that, e.g. placing parking spots, etc.

Lately, when I turn on slew mode, I'm suddenly moving at a very high rate of speed or rapidly spinning in place. Sometimes I can use the slew control keys to suppress the motion and sometimes not. By the time I can get stopped I'm far, far away from where I started.

Does anyone have any clues to the cause or fixes? Are there some FS config files that might affect this hidden away somewhere?

Any help will be sincerely appreciated.

John

I had the slew spinning problem recently, it took ages to realise what was wrong until I realised I was resting my foot on the rudder pedal :thum:

Make sure the throttle is closed and you press F1 before going to slew mode.

Joe

what view are you using when slewing? if you're in the overhead view (with the red crosshairs looking from above) and you are zoomed out, then the slew will be very fast. if you zoom in and slew it will be slower. If you're slewing from another view like spot or cockpit, then what I said is irrelevant.

Usually in top-down view, or I shift to it soon after entering Slew mode. Very fast is an understatement. I began in Florida the other day and ended up in Canada before I could get it stopped - all in less than 30 seconds. I saw over 36,000 knots on the Shft-Z top-line display.

What the others have said about the controls may be right. I had the spinning yesterday and tried the rudder pedals - it worked instantly and I was surprised to find that rotation in Slew mode can be controlled with the pedals - I never knew that and always just used the keyboard. I carefully cycled all the levers and then returned them to the lowest setting before hitting the Y key, but didn't do that with the pedals and was in a high speed rotation - one tap and it stopped.

Thanks guys, problem solved, I think.

John

• 2 weeks later...
I have several utilities that require using Slew Mode to position yourself for this and that, e.g. placing parking spots, etc.

Lately, when I turn on slew mode, I'm suddenly moving at a very high rate of speed or rapidly spinning in place. Sometimes I can use the slew control keys to suppress the motion and sometimes not. By the time I can get stopped I'm far, far away from where I started.

Does anyone have any clues to the cause or fixes? Are there some FS config files that might affect this hidden away somewhere?

Any help will be sincerely appreciated.

John

Hi John,

The settings in your sim have changed, perhaps because you have installed a new joystick or yoke(?!?). Go into your SETTINGS > CONTROLS and then make sure you see the CONTROLS for your joystick or yoke or pedals. Then you can change which axis does what (turn left, right, etc). You can assign anything you want so if you'd rather use your throttle lever to go up/down, then assign that movement to that axis ... BUT beware that if your throttle is not at ZERO when you go into slew mode, then your aircraft will go straight up! (or spin around, or move far away to the left, or whatever you've assigned it to do).

Hope this helps,

Chris

I had the slew spinning problem recently, it took ages to realise what was wrong until I realised I was resting my foot on the rudder pedal :P

Make sure the throttle is closed and you press F1 before going to slew mode.

Joe

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Comical!!

Rich

As noted about three or four posts up, problem solved. It was rudder pedals causing the rotation - I never knew they did that - apparently not quite in the center detent.

The other issues were the yoke levers. I remove the yoke when not flying and hang it in a plastic crate which also contains some hanging file folders. When putting the yoke back in the crate, the levers can end up most anywhere and I didn't realize that those lever axes were active in slew mode. I always understood Slew mode to be controlled simply by keyboard commands - I know better now and have no problems. I suppose I could change the assignments so that it IS keystrokes only, but now that I understand the issue it's effectively solved.

John