FS Commander - Version 9

I see that the major overhaul of Aerosoft's FS Commander is coming - they're taking pre-orders now and their anticipated release date is November 22nd.

What I've read previously indicates that current users will have to pay for this upgrade, but haven't yet seen the details of how much of a discount they will receive. Hopefully something...

It's pretty pricey at about $46 USD, but is arguably the best of the available stand-alone flight planners and Version 9 is supposed to include a complete restructuring and significant new capability.

http://www.aerosoft.com/cgi-local/us/iboshop.cgi?showdsearchfs+commander:010010!0,5655370440,11745

John

I see that the major overhaul of Aerosoft's FS Commander is coming - they're taking pre-orders now and their anticipated release date is November 22nd.

What I've read previously indicates that current users will have to pay for this upgrade, but haven't yet seen the details of how much of a discount they will receive. Hopefully something...

It's pretty pricey at about $46 USD, but is arguably the best of the available stand-alone flight planners and Version 9 is supposed to include a complete restructuring and significant new capability.

http://www.aerosoft....655370440,11745

John

I think it is about €24 John for previous users from €39.99 full price.

It is in our reviews to do list, why don't you volunteer?!!

Cheers

Joe

Also as a side note for others interesed, the release date of the 22nd of november is only for the boxed version.

The download version came out tuesday on both Aerosoft and Simmarket.

Interestingly, it appears to cost 25 euros upgrading from the Aerosoft version, including VAT. Same at Sim-Market. Need to put in serial code for Version 8 at time of ordering. Box copy seems to cost the same.

Manual is avaialble for download from A/S - guess what I'm doing today... !?

Hi Guys,

As a user of FSC for 6 years I'd like to make a quick list of the most horrendous elements of the program which should be addressed by the new release - I say "should be"... !!!

1. Is the "Options" menu, still hidden under the "Window" tab on the taskbar ? Doh ! :help:

2. Does the 'cursor' in the Flightplan creation window, still default to the origin aiport after adding a new waypoint, so you have to physically highlight the preceeding WP EVERY time you want to add a new one? [ie. if you want to insert a new series of WPs, you end up with an horrendous mess of lines, as it doesn't display any logic at all when it comes to modifying a flightplan.]

3. Have they added a "Which sim data do you want to load" at boot up (ala: Active Sky), instead of having to search for the function (probably under the Windows tab - although it may be somewhere else - I forget !), and THEN reboot the program again, just to change it. :whis:

4. Is the Aircraft menu improved ? Does it still default to the Airbus rather than the last used? Is the only option for weights KGs ? Has it still got confusing entries for weights? :stars:

5. Does the "Logbook" actually work now ? :icon_help:

6. Does the Flightplan window show FULL details/data as you get when you actually print it out? (as opposed to just 3 fields of data). Is it resizeable or at least allow scrolling, so you can actually see all the WPs ?

7. Does it allow the user to decide the cruising altitude/FL for the plan, as opposed to TELLING ME what I will fly at - based on aircraft parameters? Can it be changed in increments other than 2000 ft ? Does it SAVE the new altitude, instead of defaulting back, EVERY time you make a change ? :001_th_smiles48:

:P Hehe.... Rant over! They're just the major headaches I (and I would imagine others) get with FSC every time I use it. I'm sure there are more that I can't remember, but I spend an awful amount of time yelling at it ! :yikes: :yikes:

:wub: To be honest, I'll probably get it as it's invaluable and the 'best we've got' for FSX (and as it's 'networkable', the best for FS9 too imo), but the above issues really should have been fixed years ago!

But, I will expect at least the major problems to have "been sorted", and will expect some extra niceties, to be worth the extra expense.

Looking forward greatly to the review.

:D

Initial feelings around the web are not great.

Few of the original (v8) 'bugs' seem to have been attended to, and the new features are generally felt not to be worth the £22 upgrade. For example the Google Earth "support", merely exports a KML file. (Well, Duncan did that for Air Hauler, in like 2 hours!)

Moreover, apparently (?), they seem to have withdrawn support of any kind, for version 8. Hmmm... that's a little naughty isn't it ?

Probably try the "shareware" out, but with 'Black Ops' out tomorrow and new DLC for Trials HD out in a couple of weeks, there's lots of competition for £22 !

Well Gabe,

John will be reviewing FSC9, as you know, John tells it like it is, he is a user of V9 so will be aware of what's new.

Will take a while for John to get to grips with it so keep an eye out closer to Christmas/New year for the definitive review/

Cheers,

Joe

Gabe,

I own version 8.something-or-other but haven't used it all that much, being mostly a dyed-in-the-wool FS Navigator guy. I bought it about 15 minutes before they announced that they were working on 9.0 and that it would be a major upgrade.

Keep the rants coming - those will be good crib notes when I begin looking at it. I've started the process but am still waiting for Aerosoft to "confirm" the order so the download link opens. They have a slightly different process for "Press/Review copies".

Speaking of different processes, their upgrade process for boxed owners is to send in the master DVD from your package and they send you an new one - no kidding. Who ever heard of such a thing? it raises questions about printed manuals, box, etc, but don't know the details.

John