FSX Scenery Discriptions Missing

Hi Guys,

I have loaded a freeware scenery into my FSX scenery library which has loaded and works just fine, but when I looked in the library all the boxes are ticked and the priority numbers are all still there, but all the area discription are now missing except for the one that I have just added.I have checked to see if any of my other sceneries are missing when I ran FSX they all seem ok.

I have tried rebooting and restarting FSX, but still the discriptions are missing.

Please can anyone help me out here, as I do not know where to go from here.

Thanks mike H

You might want to wait to hear from the others, who are more experienced than me in this, but for what it's worth, I'd roll back to your latest restore point and forget about that scenery. The guys installer must have hosed up the scenery.cfg file or created a new one or someting like that.

If there was an installer, you might be able to manually install the files yourself rather than let the installer have it's way with your installation, but without knowing what files he's given you and how they are "wrapped up" it's hard to say for sure if that's an option or not.

John

Thanks John for you reply.

I have tried rolling back to a safe point as you suggested, which was before putting this scenery on using Norton Go Back, it made no difference to the missing scenery discriptions, still missing even though that freeware is now not in my scenery library anymore.

It would be nice now to just get back my scenery discriptions.

Do you have a conventional backup of any kind? I suspect the file that's critical to this is scenery.cfg. In FS9 it's in a nice, friendly, easy to find location. In FSX it's squirreled away elsewhere and I don't recall where that is, but as I recall it's nowhere that common sense would suggest you look. Maybe someone else will know. Anyway, if you have an earlier copy of that stashed somewhere, copying it back in might be all that's needed.

I must add the disclaimer again that I'm not an expert, just throwing out half-baked opinions. Advice from people like me is free and worth every cent.

John

Hi Mike

In your scenery.cfg do all your layers have descriptions like this?

[Area.120]

Title=Addon Scenery

Local=Addon Scenery

Layer=120

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

If so then I would be happy to verify your file if you send it to me admin [at] mutleyshangar dot com

Cheers,

Joe

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX

That's in Win7 & Vista. XP is slightly different & I don't recall what it is (long time since I had an XP box). ProgramData is a hidden folder so you'll need to select 'Show Hidden Files, Folder & Drives' in Explorer's folder options dialog.