What time of year is best for a visit in Scotland?

Hi gang.

After reading a hotel review of Monachyle Mhor Hotel (Webpage) in the morning paper last weekend me and my wife are considering a trip to Scotland, to be more exact an area about 35 miles north of Glasgow (flying distance that is, i'm guessing it's a longer drive).

What I'm curious about is what time of year is most approprite to go there considering weather and such. It would be nice to have an as big shot as possible of not beeing stuck in the hotel room due to constant downpour. As it looks right now a trip over the summer won't be possible, but rather a weekend sometime in the spring or fall.

I'll gladly take any input from you guys.

Cheers

Certainly don't go now Micke!

I would love to go to Scotland too one day as I have never been there and the landscapes are beautiful.

We have a couple of locals that look in to the forum, especially our very own "Needles" and Slopey of AH fame.

Cheers

Joe

From the sounds of it a trip right now wouldn't be much of a difference from what we have in Stockholm as far as the weather goes, and if I want to experience more winter I can always take a trip up north to my inlaws... much cheaper too :biggrin:

Hi Stu,

Having been to Scotland many a time I can safely say that all year round the weather is a tad on the cold side!

However the summer months will obviously tend to be alot warmer that others. I'd say the month of April is a fab time to visit if your only looking for a spring visit!

Though winter in Scotland maybe present all year round, you will definatley notice the scottish winter creeping in from around August so wrap up warm!

Hi Mikael,

I live in the Highlands, about 15nm southwest of Inverness, quite close to Loch Ness and Urquhart Bay. Drumnadrochit. Depending on what you want to do when you are here. May is a lovely month as there is a lot of colour around as the Rhodedendrons and Azaelias are blooming. July and August are pretty much the warmer months but if you are anywhere near water, you may be eaten by the midges. The cold weather we get will not compare to your cold weather although the locals may disagree with me. Loch Lomond area is an area of outstanding natural beauty but for me it has to be the Highlands and especially the west coast highlands. Again, we have some incredible mountains but do not compare to the mountains of your area. Scotlands highest mountain (Ben Nevis) is a mere 1344m.

No matter what time of the year you visit the highlands, you would recieve a true Highland welcome from the locals.

Regards

Needles

Thanks for the info Gareth and Brian.

Since the hotel is located on the shores of Loch Voil I guess we should aim for a visit in April or May to avoid the midges.. (actually had to look that one up, hadn't heard that word before, but I know how much of a pest they can be now that I know what you meant.)

So, now all I need to do is convince my dear wife that this is a great idea, and make sure my parents can babysit Kasper while we're away.. should be an easy task :th_smiles73:

As a fan of good single malts (the more tar and peat the better) I've wanted to go scotland for a while now, but never gotten around to it. Islay and Jura would be a dream destination for me, but I doubt I'll get any company with me if I suggest that..

As for mountains and such, I live in the flat parts of sweden.. the highest point in the province is as low as 118 meters... But my wife's from the northern parts where mountains go a fair bit higher.

After reading Brian's post Mickael April/may sounds like a good time, I had forgotten about the midges.

If it is a selection of single malts you are after, my father-in-laws cellar would make you very happy and contented!stars.gif he has a fantastic collection!

Cheers,

Joe

You will just love Scotland Mikael. I have spent alot of time driving around most of Scotland by motor bike and car and I agree with Needles May is the best time to go.I never plan where I was going,I just headed in the opposite direction to the rain if any. That way I nearly always had great weather. The Highlands- Glen Coe- West Coast are my favourites too Just Awesome.I am sure you will have a Wonderful time.

Well I can always enjoy a good single malt in the comfort of my own livingroom. There's a few bottles there too, mainly from Islay (I think I have four different versions from Laproaigh to start it of with). But I do think that enjoying a dram in scotland, looking out over the landscape could add something special to the experience...

As for driving, that's the only daunting part of such a trip. Remebering to keep on the "wrong" side of the road :001_th_smiles48:

As for driving, that's the only daunting part of such a trip. Remebering to keep on the "wrong" side of the road :001_th_smiles48:

Ha ha! Never mind what side of the road you are on Mikael, it's the price of fuel over here you should be more concerned about :001_th_smiles48:

@ Mike, Glen Coe! An absolute favourite place of mine. Whenever I am in Glen Coe, I feel I have come home and that's coming from an adopted Scot from England. I really do feel I belong here.