HELP please FSX Hangs on start up

Can anyone please tell me how to make FSX start when I click the desktop shortcut?

I am using FSX with Win 7 HP. I click on the desktop icon, the Splash Screen appears and that's it. The little cursor wheel just goes round and round. Going to Task Manager I see a line "FSX is not responding". Clicking on End Task does nothing, the only way to stop the programme is to switch the PC off.

What can I do to make FSX run OK?

I don't think it is a programme, after I have installed an add-on I always close down and restart and then start FSX and all worked OK. This has been an intermittent fault but now it has become permanent.

Thank you.

There's also a line you can add to your fsx.cfg that prevents FSX from caching the scenery around your default flight on startup. For me this cut the startup time way down, and since I rarely actually fly in the area of my default flight I still have to reload the scenery once I load up a flight.

Under the [Main] part in the FSX.cfg add the following line.

DisablePreload=1

Just remember to backup the cfg-file before editing incase something goes wrong.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I looked in the Windows Application Log and saw 945 error messages. This frightened the S**t out me so I suddenly remembered System Restore.

I have removed my Saitek programming software and also reverted to a point before I installed my C-130 FSX update.

FSX now runs OK. Whopee.

One question please. Mutley said "I am always moving aircraft out of FSX to a holding folder when not in use." How can I do this so I only have the aeroplanes I want to fly in a "Ready for Use" Hangar and the others in a "Standby Hangar"?

I am grateful to you all for your help.

Tregarth

Joe might mean the following:

1. Create a folder called, say, Standby_Hangar;

2. Look in your ...\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes folder, where you will find a folder for each of the aircraft currently in your "Ready for Use" Hangar;

3. Look through these 'Airplane' folders and decide which you need and which you can 'put on the back boiler';

4. Transfer the 'Airplane' folders you don't need to the 'Standby_Hangar' folder - you can put them back when you want.

Basically, reducing the number of aircraft in the 'Ready to Use Hangar' in FSX can make initial loading faster.

Also, you can reduce subsequent Free Flight 'loading' delays by de-selecting any scenery library files that you don't need for the particular flight you're loading.

Hope that helps - good luck!

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

Spot on Dai,

I have shortcuts on my desktop to the the two folders so it is easy to drag and drop individual aircraft folders between the two main folders.

Note though, always keep your default MS aircraft in their original folder otherwise you may get some strange things happen. Also if you are going to un-install an aircraft move it back to it's original folder first winka.gif

Cheers