The Great Australian Air Rally 2011 - GAAR 2011

Bluegrass Airlines is once again proud to present the Great Australian Air Rally for 2011 and this year, we celebrate the 10th anniversary of the GAAR.

Objective

First and foremost, and in keeping with the general Bluegrass Airlines philosophy, the GAAR is about having fun. The GAAR 2011 will provide an event for flight simulation pilots of all skill levels, from the novice to the more experienced pilots, and from all corners of the globe, to test their flight and navigation skills.

Event Format Overview

The event will officially be conducted over the period 01 - 28 Feb 11 and will involve a total of 10 flights.

The flights involve either and / or a combination of VOR, NDB and "dead reckoning" navigating under both day and night Visual Flight Rule (VFR) and / or Intstrument Flight Rule (IFR) conditions. Variable departure times and weather conditions will also exist for each flight. The weather conditions are based on factual historical data for the flight leg and time of the year.

This is a 10 Leg Tour - it follows a course which starts at Coolangata (YBCG) and continues up the magnificent east coast of Queensland taking in the Great Barrier Reef and surrounding islands and interspersed with deviations inland before finishing in Far North Queensland at Cairns (YBCS).

Anyone can participate, but you are limited to using any radial or other piston engined aircraft that flew in the period 1930s to 1950s. Turboprop, turbojet, turbofan and other such engined aircraft are not eligible for entry in the event - but don't let that put you off!

More info here

And have yourselves a Bonza time! :thum:

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like great fun if I can find the time. Will have to consult with my calender before deciding..

Should I enter I think the Catalina will be my choice of aircraft.

Hi All - thanks for the responses. Some thoughts on this:

1. We could possibly treat the GAAR 2011 as one of our Mini Challenges, each of us taking on 1 or more Legs, but we need to consider...

2. GAAR Rules! First off, I think, as a team from the Hangar, we'd all have to fly the same aircraft. Now that might not be a problem - if we can agree on one!!

3. GAAR Rules, again - the PIREP's must be submitted on time, so we need to have commitment, otherwise we'll be slung out (well, almost).

4. I'm not sure, but I think we could choose to fly either FSX or FS9 - so that makes things easier.

5. GAAR Rules, again - you will have to install scenery for this, I think - but it is free.

Can I suggest that we consider the DC-3 to start with? The default DC-3 would be O.K for most Legs - although I don't know the weather conditions yet, so the default's lack of IFR instruments might make some Legs inappropriate. If you've got the MAAM DC-3, or even the DC-3 Airways model, you should be fine. By the way, the latter is free, but you'll need to register with DC-3 Airways, I think - as I did, a few months ago.

Have a closer look at the GAAR 2011 website and read the details - if you're still up for it, then we'll go for it. If we have more than 3 or 4 in the Hangar Team, then Rob and I will organise things.

Thanks again! :thum:

I'm pretty sure you can't fly it as a relay -- once you miss a leg, you're considered retired. The way it works if you enter as a 'VA' is that the points from all your members are counted towards your team score: Think Team championships in F1.

Can I suggest that we consider the DC-3 to start with? The default DC-3 would be O.K for most Legs

Aaaarrrgghh! Nothing wrong with the DC3, but there must be more DC3s enter GAAR than are still flying RW! In fact, there are so many DC3 pilots fly this thing, that anything that ISN'T a DC3 is a real breath of fresh air. There's also no compulsion or requirement for everyone to fly the same aircraft.

I was poking around the cbfsim site earlier, and I think my lead contender at the moment is the DH104 Dove. I definitely want to fly something British, since back in the Fifties we still had an aircraft industry... :whis: (GAAR requires aircraft from the 30s-50s) The prime requirement I have is that the plane must have a VC (with a TH2Go, stretching a 2D panel across 5000 pixels is a non starter!), and unfortunately that knocks out a lot of otherwise good freeware aircraft.

Aidan,

Welcome to the GAAR 2011. Just a quick observation about your Test Flight time. It is excessively high for the DC-3, such that, it would be falling out of the sky on the calculated ground / air speed. You might want to have another look at it and send me a revised Test Flight time. The DC-3 should typically be producing Test Flight times of between 19 - 23 mins.

Regards

Andrew Godden

GAAR Director

Aidan - Andrew, the GAAR organiser, is quite right about the time. If you tooke 48 mins, you must have stopped for a cuppa on the way... :whis:

We've been given the go ahead for a Team entry, but if you want to continue as an individual that's great. :thum:

Hopefully, Rob and I will set the Team entry up sometime later today.

We've been given the go ahead from the organiser of the Great Australian Air Rally, GAAR 2011, to enter a team from the Hangar! Here's Andrew's email:

David,

Welcome to the GAAR and sunny, hot, Australia, except for Queensland and the devastating floods.

Whilst generally an individual event, if PIREPS for individual Flight Legs were submitted with times flown by other individuals as part of a "team", I would be none the wiser, unless you told me.

The aim of the GAAR is for people to have fun and if "making a team effort" of your entry achieves this, it works for me, with the following provisos:

the entry will be treated as a single entry from "Mutley's Hangar" (for want of a name);

"target times" for each Flight Leg will be calculated on your submitted Test Flight (unless revised before registration closure);

there will be a single point of contact (you, I presume for now) who will be responsible for submitting PIREPS in accordance with the schedule; and

don't tell anyone, they will think I am going soft and it will ruin my reputation :biggrin:

Regards - Andrew.

So, now we need a team - please post here and let Rob and me know if you'd like to join us. Aidan has already regisered... :thum:

So, now we need a team - please post here and let Rob and me know if you'd like to join us. Aidan has already regisered... :thum:

I'd like to do this. I haven't yet taken part in any of these group challenges/activities and would very much like to do so!

Ok, so now I'm confused. There's only going to be a single entry, being "the team", and we're not individually entering? That seems a very odd way of doing it, and from my perspective rather defeats the point of the rally. It also reduces the team's visibility, since there's only one "participant", rather than a whole bunch of pilots wearing Mutley's Hangar colours.

You don't see DC-3 Airways, or Bluegrass etc "hiding" behind a single entry, and I don't think we should either. To me, that is not participating. I'll happily fly the Mutley flag, but I don't want to fly anonymously inside some 'team'.

Sorry to have confused anyone! We'll be entering a team if there are enough interested - and we can agree on a single aircraft...

But - anyone can enter on their own if they'd prefer.

Rob and I thought it'd be an opportunity to try a team effort from the Hangar. Hope that makes more sense!

So far the team is:

1. Rob

2. E.J.

3. Dai

I'll add more as we recruit.

We thought/hoped that by entering as a team it would help spread the good word of Mutleys.

Granted it would be fantastic if we could all enter individually and there is nothing stopping you doing this, however some people (myself included) may not be able to make the deadlines due to other commitments. This way gives everyone a chance to take part and join in the fun, although it will get interesting if we get more than 10 pilots register :th_smiles73:

Hi Guys,

Apologies but I will have to rule myself out of this one, due to other time pressing stuff.

I will be watching though.

Good luck to all who enter.

Regards

Brian