3. Bundaberg YBUD to Lady Elliot Island LYT.... 21 nm

4. Lady Elliot I LYT to Hamilton Island YBHM....123 nm

5. Hamilton I YBHM to Alpha YAPH..................95 nm

6. Alpha YAPH to Winton YWTN......................83 nm

7. Winton TWTN to Lavarack YLVK................. 111nm

8. Lavarack YLVK to Chillagoe YCGO.............. 74 nm

9. Chillagoe YCGO to Lizard I. YLZI...................63 nm

10 Lizard I YLZI to Cairns Intl YBCS................. 53 nm

Just post which Leg you'd like as first choice. If no one minds, I'd like to go for Leg 3. The landing on Lady Elliott Island looks really challenging and the scenery is excellent, too.

Let's also hear your views on the aircraft. Rob and I agree that the DC-3 might be ideal as everyone has a version. BUT - if you have an alternative then please let us know.

Lastly, I apologise for my poor organizing skills - it's been a long time since I captained the 2nd XV!! :whis:

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We thought/hoped that by entering as a team it would help spread the good word of Mutleys.

I don't think so -- if 10 pilots register, that's ten times more word spreading than one 'team', after all Mutleys will appear ten times in the roster if nothing else.

I don't personally want to fly just one leg of a relay (or a DC3), so I shall enter in my own right. If I'm still permitted to fly under the Mutley flag on that basis, then I shall. :)

Here's a more list of Legs for GAAR 2011 with some info on destination airfields:

1. Gold Coast YBCG to Chinchilla YCCA..........175 nm RWY 14/32 1073m x 18m asphalt

2. Chinchilla YCCA to Bundaberg YBUD...........145 nm RWY 14/32 1633 x 30m asphalt

3. Bundaberg YBUD to Lady Elliot Island LYT.... 21 nm RWY 09/27 575m x 12m coral

4. Lady Elliot I LYT to Hamilton Island YBHM....123 nm RWY 14/32 1767m x 90m asphalt

5. Hamilton I YBHM to Alpha YAPH..................95 nm RWY 18/36 1463m x 30m asphalt

6. Alpha YAPH to Winton YWTN......................83 nm RWY 14/32 1405m x 30m asphalt

7. Winton TWTN to Lavarack YLVK................. 111nm RWY 09/27 579m x 18m grass

8. Lavarack YLVK to Chillagoe YCGO.............. 74 nm RWY 17/35 981m x 18m asphalt

9. Chillagoe YCGO to Lizard I. YLZI...................63 nm RWY 11/29 926m x 15m asphalt

10 Lizard I YLZI to Cairns Intl YBCS................. 53 nm RWY 12/30 927m x 18m asphalt

So far, I've booked Leg 4 to Aidan, and provisionally. Leg 3 to myself - but I'm happy to let anyone else have this option:

DC-2_Departing_Lady_Elliott.jpg

As you can see, it's quite a short strip... :whis:

Aidan's going to have fun taking off, too! :thum:

Don't forget, we need a few more volunteers...

P.S. Let us know which Leg you'd like, Rob.

Here's an update on GAAR 2011:

1. You can now download all the flight file informatio required for each Leg of the Rally from here.

2. Nearly 50 registrations have been received so far - our team is registered as Mutley's Hangar.

3. We'll be flying a DC-3 - you can choose your own model - i.e. default, Just Flight, MAAM, etc

4. If you join the Hangar team you can choose which Leg you'd like or, if you prefer...

5. You can register individually and complete the Rally in whichever vintage aircraft you like.

Here's an updated route map showing more details of waypoints, etc:

GAAR_2011_NDB_Plan.jpg

Thanks for bearing with me on this - I'm not the greatest of organisers! (Help, Boss!!)

Thanks Kieran - that'd be fine if you could, mate! :thum:

I guess you'd choose a Leg to suit you. Look at the detailed flight plan. Start out and record the time at Take Off. Complete the Leg as per instructions - there are one or two touch and go's, so forth. Land at your destination and record the time again. This is important as we'll need the time to fly the Leg to be submitted to the organisers. Remember, this is a Rally, and we've selected the DC-3 flying at 140 KIAS, so our Flight Times will be checked against this datum, I think.

Post your flight time with as many screen shots as you want, here on the Hangar, and I'll send in the Leg Flight Time.

That's the procedure - hope it makes sense!!

Hi there, Fellow Hangarians! Thank you if you've already joined the Mutley's Hangar Team Entry to the Great Australian Air Rally (GAAR) 2011. If you haven't decided yet, here's the List of GAAR Legs and current allocation. Feel free to join us!

GAAR Leg List and Pilots

1. Gold Coast YBCG to Chinchilla YCCA..........175 nm RWY 14/32 1073m x 18m asphalt

2. Chinchilla YCCA to Bundaberg YBUD...........145 nm RWY 14/32 1633 x 30m asphalt.......Joe 'Mutley' Lawford - The Boss!!

3. Bundaberg YBUD to Lady Elliot Island LYT.... 21 nm RWY 09/27 575m x 12m coral..........Dai Williams

4. Lady Elliot I LYT to Hamilton Island YBHM....123 nm RWY 14/32 1767m x 90m asphalt.....Aidan

5. Hamilton I YBHM to Alpha YAPH..................95 nm RWY 18/36 1463m x 30m asphalt

6. Alpha YAPH to Winton YWTN......................83 nm RWY 14/32 1405m x 30m asphalt

7. Winton TWTN to Lavarack YLVK................. 111nm RWY 09/27 579m x 18m grass

8. Lavarack YLVK to Chillagoe YCGO.............. 74 nm RWY 17/35 981m x 18m asphalt

9. Chillagoe YCGO to Lizard I. YLZI...................63 nm RWY 11/29 926m x 15m asphalt

10 Lizard I YLZI to Cairns Intl YBCS................. 53 nm RWY 12/30 927m x 18m asphalt.........Kieran - or 'Chuck' to his chums!

Rob Scott has said he'd 'fill in', so here's your chance to get a prime Leg of Queensland Flying!

How it wil work

Before going into details of how we will proceed, please look at the official GAAR 2011 site for information, scenery downloads, etc. You'll find it here:

http://bluegrassairlines.com/bgad/gaar_2011/index.htm;

Now, as we'll be flying the Rally as a team, the PIREP procedure is a little different to that given in the GAAR 2011 site, so bear with us! Here's how we'll do it:

1. First off, each of us will have to fly the Test Flight to get a Standard Test Flight Time. This is fairly straightforward, but you will need to record this time using a DC-3 model - you choose (FS9 or FSX) - and you will need to fly as close to 140 KIAS and at 4500' for the length of the Test Flight course. This is important, as it will affect our Team's overall standing - more on this later.

2. When you've flown the Test Flight course, post the Test Flight Time on our (Mutley's Hangar) Forum - this thread is fine. When all the individual Test Flight Times are in, we'll do an average and send that in to the GAAR organiser as the Team's Test Flight Time.

3. Each of us will have one or more GAAR Legs to fly. You'll notice that the Leg Flight Times have to be with the GAAR organiser by a certain date. As we will be forwarding on your Leg Flight Time, it is really important that you complete the Leg(s) in time for us to do this - at least 24 hours, but longer would be fine.

4. The Flight Plan - which has been produced with Plan-G (thanks, Tim!) - is part of a zip-file is available for download HERE. You will be able to save it to the appropriate folder for your flight plans - you can then use it for your individual GAAR Flight(s).

5. Please look carefully at the GAAR Event Briefing document. Instructions for each Leg are given - so make sure you read and understand what's needed! You'll see that some Legs require you to make a Touch-and-Go, or even a re-fuelling stop during the Flight. Do make sure you follow these instructions, otherwise your Flight Time will be too short. Look out for other details - one Leg requires you to circumnavigate an island!

6. Fly the Leg - when you're good and ready! Preset the radios - make sure your fuel's O.K. and remember, there are circling direction bans in force at some airfields. Make sure you take a note of your Start Time - or use a timer. Climb steadily to 4500' - maintain 140 KIAS and stay on course. You are free to do this by any means you prefer - using the radio and NDB/VOR instruments, or by following the route on the GPS.

7. Take some screen shots - you can post them on the Hangar Forum - don't worry about narrative unless you spot something interesting. On the way, bear in mind any special instructions for the Leg, and when you near your destination, make sure that you will approach the field in the correct way - note the circuit joining instructions.

8. When you've touched down and completed the landing roll, please record your Finish Time (or read the timer). Work out the Leg Flight TIme, put some screen shots together and post on the Hangar Forum.

9. We'll then be able to submit your Leg Flight Time as our Team PIREP to GAAR 2011. The organiser will use the Team's original Test Flight Time, together with the Leg Flight Time, to see how close we come to the Standard Flight Time for that Leg. This will then be used (in some diabolical way, I'm sure!) to determine our overall standing in the Rally.

O.K. - any queries should be posted on the Hangar Forum and Rob and I will try to sort you out! Thanks again for joining us - it will be great fun.

Cheers - Dai WIlliams and Rob Scott.

There are many different ways to fly a plane - fast cruise, economy, 55%/65%/75% power etc. For the sake of consistency (and more points), you should standardise on a particular performance regime you can all agree on. This should include MP/RPM settings etc. The target times for your aircraft will be based on your test flight time, so you should decide before flying that. Consistency - not all out speed - is the name of the game here.

Of course, if you get more points than me, you'll find your tyres mysteriously let down! :whis:

Thanks, Joe - have just received a message in a bottle from young Aidan - seems this week has capsized on him, but next week bodes well... So he's happy to remain on the GAAR Roster.

Now, Rob Scott has said he'd 'fill in', but we still need some more recruits for the remaining Legs. C'mon Lads - let's be hearing from you! :thum:

Just an up-date to the Roster after contacting John - and squeezing his arm a little - Thanks, John!! :thum:

GAAR Leg List and Pilots

1. Gold Coast YBCG to Chinchilla YCCA..........176 nm RWY 14/32 1073m x 18m asphalt

2. Chinchilla YCCA to Bundaberg YBUD...........234 nm RWY 14/32 1633 x 30m asphalt.......Joe 'Mutley' Lawford - The Boss!!

3. Bundaberg YBUD to Lady Elliot Island LYT....187 nm RWY 09/27 575m x 12m coral..........Dai Williams

4. Lady Elliot I LYT to Hamilton Island YBHM....316 nm RWY 14/32 1767m x 90m asphalt.....Aidan

5. Hamilton I YBHM to Alpha YAPH.................237 nm RWY 18/36 1463m x 30m asphalt

6. Alpha YAPH to Winton YWTN.....................220 nm RWY 14/32 1405m x 30m asphalt......John Allard

7. Winton TWTN to Lavarack YLVK................. 334 nm RWY 09/27 579m x 18m grass

8. Lavarack YLVK to Chillagoe YCGO..............236 nm RWY 17/35 981m x 18m asphalt

9. Chillagoe YCGO to Lizard I. YLZI..................313 nm RWY 11/29 926m x 15m asphalt

10 Lizard I YLZI to Cairns Intl YBCS.................134 nm RWY 12/30 927m x 18m asphalt.........Kieran - or 'Chuck' to his chums!

Still some Legs available - Rob can't do all 5 - or can he?!? :whis:

I may have a theory about that!

In the 2D panel the speedo is in kts, but in the VC it is in MPH. It almost caught me out but I used ctrl+z to track it. If Joe read the 140mph and 140kts, he was probably only doing about 120kts

At 29 minutes, he wasn't pedalling hard enough! BTW, where is the Boss? :whis:

On the 2-D Panel front, I've edited in the DC Airways panel - it's got a great Timer, too - as well as having decent direction finding instruments (Oh No - Don't get him started on that! - Ed)...

Well, it's an ill wind that...

You can post GAAR Leg 2 here - or, we could start a new thread, say, "GAAR 2011 PIREPs"? Maybe having a separate thread would make organisation easier?

And Thanks for making a start, Joe! If no-one else wants to do it, I'll do Leg 1... :whis:

Well, Rob has been busy with the Team Mutley Dizzie in the paintshop - and here she is!

GAAR_01_Ready_For_TO.jpg

We've arrived at the start of GAAR 2011 - that's Gold Coast airport (YBCG) - just making some final adjustments to instruments, so forth, before we start...

A couple of Legs still available to anyone not on the Roster - give us a yell! :thum:

P.S. Great job, Rob - thanks, mate!!