Dear All,

An FSX file question (perhaps stupid) ... but the reason escapes me, and it's bloody annoying!

When I save a Flight, a list of existing Flights is presented to me IN PERFECT ALPHABETIC ORDER ... However ... when I recall these saved Flights they are presented to me in NO PARTICULAR ORDER ... making it necessary for me to descend through all my (by now quite numerous) saved Flights to find the one I want to use ... !?!?

Can anyone tell me why this is so / is it normal / and is there any way to force FSX to list my Flights in normal (Numerico-alpha) order, like any other Windows sort order ???

Thanks,

David

Hi David,

I believe FSX displays your saved flight in chronological order, that is, your latest saved flight would be dispalyed first in line.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Needles

Thanks needles ... so ok FSX lists my saved flights in chronologiocal order (all of them?) ... but this is very annoying for me when I want to select a specific saved flight from amongst my more than 60 flights! ... is there not a way to force FSX to list my flights for selection in alpha-numeric (as FSX already does for the "save a flight" menu ...... ???!!???

David

O.K., David - time to bite the bullet and organise those Saved Flight files!

First off, when you Save a Flight, do you start the Saved Flight 'text' with an aircraft or 'type of flight' identifier? For example, when I'm preparing for a Review - like Treescapes - I put 'Treescapes' at the start of the Saved Flight text. These Saved Flights will then be grouped together when I hit the 'Load' button on Free Flight and I can get back to a saved Review position quite quickly. After I've finished the Review, I 'gather' all the Saved Flight files from the ...\Libraries\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files folder, and put them into a new folder called 'Treescapes_Saved_Flights', so I can use it later if I need to.

Note that each 'Saved Flight' has 4 files associated with it and, these groups of 4 files will all have the same file name, which is the text you used when saving. So. for one of my Treescapes Saved Flights, called 'Treescapes Review - approaching Llanbedr', the fies are called:

* Treescapes Review - approaching Llanbedr.FLT

* Treescapes Review - approaching Llanbedr.FSSAVE

* Treescapes Review - approaching Llanbedr.WX

* Treescapes Review - approaching Llanbedr.XML

All 4 files are needed by FSX for loading the Saved Flight function.

I know it's tedious, but setting out to save your flights in an organised way will help to avoid a lot of frustration later on! Best of luck. :thum:

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

Thanks Tim_A & ddavid

... your comments make a lot of sense, but in my use of saved flights I need to access any of my flights at any time.

I use them for "a plane type" in a particular "geographical position" with "appropriate weather" ... that is in a particular place in the world I have a suitable plane in a realistic parking place with the right type of local weather (I meant this to save myself a lot of time ... time spent flying rather than configuring!!), but having to search through 60 "random" flight titles rather mitigates this time saving!!!

I really don't see why FSX can list the flights alpha-numerically when saving a flight but not when loading a flight !?!? Surely there must be a way to force a logical sequence for selection ... maybe via WindowsXp rather than in FSX?

Maybe I should dump the idea of prepared local weather, and just go for 9 saved flights (for the 9 planes that I fly) ...... ??????

David

I really don't see why FSX can list the flights alpha-numerically when saving a flight but not when loading a flight !?!? Surely there must be a way to force a logical sequence for selection ... maybe via WindowsXp rather than in FSX?

You'd think... Unfortunately, in this particular area, FSX is, how shall I put it, a little inadequate. :rolleyes: