Well, it looks like my FSX is stuffed. Again.

Last night it was working fine, and I flew an AH flight from Bristol to Cosford, with no trouble. Shut down cleanly at the end.

This evening, I start it up, get to the main screen ok, but as sook as I click on Fly Now... blam. It either goes black screen, or grey screen, or black with occasional flashes of desktop. I've tried deleting the fsx.cfg and loading the default flight, but it makes no difference. When I look in the event log, it says The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect.

All drivers are up to date.

Any ideas? I've barely recovered from the last big reinstall earlier this year, so I really don't want to go through all that aggro again!

Hi Tim

there are quite a few results if you put this in Google.

Do you run AVG?

Here's one:

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/613262-solved-failed-because-its-side.html

Down the page a bit there's a solution.

Hope it helps

JD

PS - here's an FSX specific one:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/windowscompatibility/thread/c1bbc95a-c583-4b18-8528-908c4156d888

:001_th_smiles48: I have never seen that error message before so would be relying on search engines like JD.

Hopefully you won't be in for a re-install, I have that task lurking ominously on the horizon for both my PC's so don't envy you having to do that.

Regards

Yes, I've gone through everything that google threw up.

I don't run AVG (only Microsoft Security Essentials on that PC)

UAC is off

FS is run as administrator

vcredist is up to date and verified

msxml is up to date and verified

My suspicion is that the win xsx folder is corrupted, which probably means a reformat and start from scratch. And I *really* (and I mean 'jack it in and take up needlecraft *really*') don't want to do that.

The one thing I didn't think of, until someone suggested it this morning.... a system restore!

And sure as Robert is a familial group comember, it's come back to life and everything is working again. Happiness, light and free Plan-G updates all round! :cloudnine: