Hi,

I've been using FSX for about two years now, and over that period of time, a few problems have popped up, including:

- no landing lights

- winter runway textures in summer

- and a few other small niggles (many that I probably haven't even noticed)

So, I have decided to repair my FSX installation, using the "Repair" option on the DVD. I just have a few questions:

1. Will repairing FSX do anything to my add-ons (especially REX)?

2. Will the fsx.cfg remain the same, or will it be reverted back to normal? (I have a few tweaks that help performance)

3. Approximately how long will it take?

4. Is there anything else that I should be worried about?

My current FSX installation is just over 50GB, so I want to make sure that I don't mess up anything. (I don't really want to reinstall all of my add-ons!)

Help would be appreciated. smile.gif

Hi there John,

In my experience, for over two years now you have installed payware and freeware programs and possibly un-installed a lot too. The trouble is the system never quite gets back to its pre-installed state so you will have registry entries, fsx.cfg entries and others that can affect its performance.

You will probably never get your system back to its optimum without a complete re-install. The repair option rarely proves to be satisfactory but it will not remove any of your addons, nor will a re-install.

If you do want to reinstall FSX, be on the safe side keep a copy of your FSX.cfg, scenery.cfg, dll.xml, exe.xml, that may help you to get those addons working again without re-installing.

Rex is a stand alone program so no problems there. Existing addon aircraft will be unaffected. Any scenery will lose its settings because the scenery.cfg gets over-written but with the back up you can just cut and paste the old into the new scenery.cfg

The exe.xml file holds details of external programs like Ultimate traffic so again a cut and paste will re-instate them, the dll.xml holds details of fsuipc, walk and follow etc. so those can be re-instated too.

If all this sounds complicated then the ultimate re-installation would be to un-install FSX and all add-ons and start afresh.

As for time involved, 30 minutes for a re-install of FSX and at least an hour to get all your extras re-instated.

Cheers,

Joe

Well, I decided to repair FSX, and when I first started it up, I got this wonderful message:

"A fatal error has occurred. Any unsaved data will be lost. Do you wish to restart Flight Simulator X?"

I'm glad I set a system restore point before I did this... biggrin.gif

As for time involved, 30 minutes for a re-install of FSX and at least an hour to get all your extras re-instated.

:rofl: Well, you can't have many extras then (but then only 50GB, is quite small in the FSX scheme of things - I have individual sceneries that are way bigger than that.) Spending two or 3 hours per evening on it, my last reinstall took over two weeks, and a lot of stuff got left off...

I was thinking minimal install Tim, I have just been through this myself.

Granted, I have scenery, especially the Generation X series that are multi-Gb, so I am just reinstalling on a needs-must basis, much less stressful.

Cheers,

Joe

GenX I normally have as an AIO, backed up on a separate drive, so reinstalling it is a simple file copy rather than a 16-dvd ordeal. But something went very screwy with it, and I lost a lot of coastlines (not the UTX/terrain.cfg big blocky lumps of land type problem, but lots of small patches of default scenery where the beaches should be), and I had to rebuild it from scratch. Unfortunately, the proliferation of region managers, online install checkers and other nasties (including the "his fault not mine" sniping from developers when--not if--sceneries collide and interfere with each other) has made the whole FSX scenery business a bit of a minefield.

I agree with you there Tim which I why I try to stick with Gen X and related scenery from Darren & Vikki at ES. Don't forget there is a lot of freeware scenery on ES from some of the Beta Team.

On a side note Tim, are you going to the FSC Weston show? I normally help out on the ES stand, the organisers have me down as an exhibitor but I am not, I am just a friend of the show. Lots to see at the Helicopter Museum as well.

It's free to have a stand, just a donation to the charity is requested.

Cheers

Joe