I have started to fly the MS FSX default Cessna 172 SP with Garmin 1000 and the Baron 58 also with Garmin 1000. Normally with a standard C 172 the DME works so when I fly round Manston I always know how far I am from home and also use the DME to ensure I am at the right height to enter the glide slope.

But using the Garmin 1000 the DIS window stays at 00.0 nm no matter where I am in the circuit; I am only flying circuits and bumps at present so I do not have a flight plan installed. I have read the FSX Garmin manual but it does not tell me how to make the DME work. I have set and activated Nav 1 to the Manston ILS (111.75) and checked it is working with my basic C172 and all is OK. The Garmin ILS needles show when on approach but the DME stays on 00.0. I have even set Nav 2 to 111.75 but that does not work either.

Can anyone please tell me where I am going wrong?

Thank you,

Tregarth

There does not seem to be a DME display per se in the FSX G1000. There are two ways around this. The DIS window you reference is the GPS distance to the next waypoint, not DME. You can put in a flight plan with EGMH as the destination and that should display the distance in that field if you make the last flight plan leg the active leg using the standard GPS functions.

A better way might be to put a pop-up panel in the panel.cfg file for this AC with a conventional DME instrument from another AC. It will always be there and will always work with no fooling around with flight plans, etc.

John

Dear John,

Thank you very much for this, I did suspect this was the reason. How strange; I suppose someone at ACES forgot and then when the studio closed no one was able to correct it. I will follow your advice and try the flight plan solution. I am not comfortable with a panel pop up, if anyone can screw it up it is me.

I appreciate your help,

Tregarth

There does not seem to be a DME display per se in the FSX G1000. There are two ways around this. The DIS window you reference is the GPS distance to the next waypoint, not DME. You can put in a flight plan with EGMH as the destination and that should display the distance in that field if you make the last flight plan leg the active leg using the standard GPS functions.

A better way might be to put a pop-up panel in the panel.cfg file for this AC with a conventional DME instrument from another AC. It will always be there and will always work with no fooling around with flight plans, etc.

John

Pop-up panels are pretty easy to do. After you do one you'll wonder what you were worried about.

At any rate, come back and let us know how the flight plan/GPS method works. I'm afraid the annoyance is going to be having to reset the active leg of the flight plan every time you get to the field. If you're doing T&Gs, that will be a pain.

John

Dear John,

I think the way round it is to use the "Nearest Airports" window. I followed the instructions under the heading "Nearest Airports" in the FSX Usinhg Garmin 1000 Help section. i.e. Press NRST softkey, turn the FMS knob to select required airport, press Direct-to key, press Ent key twice.

This tells the Garmin that your airport is a Waypoint, then, by setting the ILS frequency it all works.

One point I struggled with was using the FMS key. Move the mouse to the clickspot and hold the left mouse button on the spot for a couple of seconds i.e don't just click and expect a result. It may be responding but the window is small and difficult to read - at least it is for me (I had to use the + key to expand the panel so I could read it).

I set up a flight from Manston to Stansted using Detling & Lambourn VOR's. I had expected that on reaching Lambourn EGSS would appear as a waypoint but it didn't so I hurriedly had to learn how to use "Nearest Airports"!

I appreciate your reply, Thank You,

Bset regards,

Tregarth

P.S. I hope to be at the Weston Show, I see Mutley will be present so I look forward to meeting you there.

Pop-up panels are pretty easy to do. After you do one you'll wonder what you were worried about.

At any rate, come back and let us know how the flight plan/GPS method works. I'm afraid the annoyance is going to be having to reset the active leg of the flight plan every time you get to the field. If you're doing T&Gs, that will be a pain.

John