FSX: Stuttering-graphics distortion?

Hi all,

I've always noticed strange graphical hitches with my FSX ever since I got my new PC (nearly 2 years ago) and one thing I've always noticed is slight graphical distortions when frames stutter in FSX. I use the default scenery for the UK, so whenever I fly out of airports there, frames stutter slightly (where they keep flicking from low to high frames). However, whenever I move the camera during the stutters (particularly in spot view) I always notice strange graphical distortions for split seconds.. the clouds might skew a funny texture, or there might be a flash where the ground textures distort for a split second. Once the frames become smooth again, i.e. in the sky where my frames normally remain high and smooth, I can move the camera without seeing any distortion. Also, this problem seems to be mostly with the default FSX scenery. I've never seen any graphical distortions such as those mentioned at Alderney (Earth Simulations) or while using FTX (Australia/PNW). It's also worth noting that I never see distortion when the camera is still. It's only once I start to move the camera, there's slight distortions inbetween frames stuttering.

I have tried capturing these flash distortions in screenshots, but have never managed. I'm wondering whether this is because FSX loads the textures properly (i.e. without distortion and then takes the screen, or whether I'm just not quick enough). Either way, I have never managed to capture it in a screen.

Like I said, I've always had problems like this with FSX, but I've noticed it more and more recently and it's starting to worry me slightly. Does anyone else have the same problem or a similar problem - or ever had a similar problem? I'm not too good at explaining problems like this, but I hope you can understand/relate.

Cheers,

George

Hi George

I've noticed the occasional spike that is caused by scenery not fitting exactly - particularly by the coast, in the sea - and I do get vertical lines coming from scenery like trees. Both, generally, disappear - they are transient, although I have made a couple of screenshots. Maybe that's an idea for a comp?!? :whis:

Let's face it, FSX has a mind of its own, eh?

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

Hi George

I've noticed the occasional spike that is caused by scenery not fitting exactly - particularly by the coast, in the sea - and I do get vertical lines coming from scenery like trees. Both, generally, disappear - they are transient, although I have made a couple of screenshots. Maybe that's an idea for a comp?!? :whis:

Let's face it, FSX has a mind of its own, eh?

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

Hey Dai, thanks for the reply. I've found a couple of vids on youtube that show the problem I'm having. Mines not really this bad, but you get the idea...

My FSX really does have a mind of its own. Something different crops up every time I use it.

Cheers,

George

Probably memory related George, FSX is so hungry.

What you could try is this tweaking tool it's all done online and can produce a finely optimised FSX file for your hardware configuration. I use it, but make sure you back up your existing FSX.cfg file.

Cheers

Joe

Hi Joe. Thanks for that.. it seems to have improved my FSX performance slightly, but has done nothing for these graphical problems :001_th_smiles48:

I've always had glitches with graphics on FSX .. but they seem to have gotten worse (or maybe it's just me).

Cheers,

George

UPDATE: Doing a kind of MOT service for my PC at the moment.. performance tweaking and trying to improve the graphical glitches.

Here's a video I made of dense default scenery at Friday Harbour. There a few glitches you will notice, but hopefully they're just normal (?).

Please ignore the flying, this is only a performance testing video.

Cheers,

George

Well I reckon she is running pretty well George, with all that view changing and screen re-drawing going on, I guess you are using FRAPS as well and that is a resource eater too.

Brilliant!!

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread but been reading through your topics gradually and think this one is the best place for me to ask. I think globetrotters' FSX video is spot on and would be more than happy with that performance. I am currently waiting for more RAM which will take me up to 5MB - but am looking to change my GPU. I currently have a Radeon X300 in my HP xw6200 workstation with a Dual core Xeon 3.2ghz CPU. 

Can anyone suggest a descent GPU with a bugget of £50ish - or am i wasting my time ? :wacko2:

This "Mutleys hanger" is fantastic, with so much content and advice i take my hat off to you all. Flight sim is just a small hobby but i think it may get bigger. Takes me back to old Airshow days at Mildenhall, Alconbury & Greenham Common with my dad. Still going to Waddington and Duxford regular but shows getting rarer. Living on end of Wittering runway is earily quite these days!!. :(

keep up the great site  :thum:

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the kind words, we have a great crowd here.

The extra memory will definitely help.

A CPU upgrade would see the the greatest boost but if you could up your budget by £20 then the nVidia GTX 550 Ti card would boost those graphics.

Happy flying!

Joe

Thanks Joe, may wait til i can get  a GTX 550 then. see what happens when the memory arrives. Think i maybe looking at a new system altogether before too long so don't want to go overboard but will take your suggestion on board.

thanks for that :thum:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Joe

Today i have put in more memory to 4GB and a ASUS Radeon HD 6670 and what a difference ! Now getting 17 - 20 FPS on Marham AB set with near max settings and over 25 FPS in the air with little detail. Aircraft detail is much better. Did my homework on your suggestion but i think my system would have struggled on power with a GTX 550.

Thanks for the advice - it put me on the right lines. :D

regards

Alan.