• 1 year later...

Thanks for reminding me of this Tweak Link, it does work with my old Windows XP machine and Nvidia GeForce 6200 graphics card.

Just a few pointers, when I did my tweak I chose not to tick the VSync Fix and selected Normal for the optimization preferences.

I did my tweak about two years ago and if I recall correctly selecting the VSync Fix caused problems when switching between full screen and windowed modes, I ended up with black skies!!!!

The other important tweak is getting the Nvidia graphics card set up correctly and I think I am not alone in trying every combination I have read about on the internet.

All of these web sites led me up the garden path with slow FPS, bad graphics and a stuttering FSX.

By chance the other day I went back to the drawing board and decided to go it alone and try my own settings.

What I ended up with is 20 FPS, quality graphics and smooth running which is also very important in FSX.

Click the Nvidia Control Panel icon which should be in your computers Control Panel. Then select Adjust image settings with preview. Make sure that on the right side of this panel that Use the advanced 3D image settings has been checked. Then click on Take me there. You should now be looking at the settings for FSX Flight Simulator X and you then set them as follows.....

Anisotropic Filtering = Application Controlled

Antialising Setting = Application Controlled

Extension Limit = Off

Maximum Pre Rendered Frames = 3

Multi Display GPU Acceleration =Multi Display Performance Mode

Texture Filtering Anisotropic = Off

Texture Filtering Negative LOD Bias = Clamp

Texture Filtering Quality = High Quality

Threaded Optimization = Global Setting Auto

Triple Buffering = Global Setting Off

Texture Filtering Anisotropic Sample = Off

Texture Filtering Trilinear = On

Vertical Sync = Use the 3D application setting

Then you must save these settings.

In FSX set the graphics frame rate to 20 FPS and select Anisotropic Filtering and tick the Antialising box too.

I think that's it for now, let me know how you get on.

Cheers, Michael.

Must admit I tried the Ventubo tweaks on my old set up and just couldn't get much of an improvement and even though I reloaded my original file it never really seemed to work the same and I had to do an in image reinstall.

Maybe im too much of a control freak or just a die hard analyst but i didnt like handing over control to a program that was doing stuff that I either couldn't see, or understand.

My current set up is, thankfully, streets ahead of my old pc, and i haven't felt the need to do anything to it apart from set up different .cfg files for the region, add ons or aircraft I'm using. I could over clock but it's running pretty well without it. If I was to tweak I'd definitely want to know what each setting did in case I wanted to test it in isolation, but then (knowing me) I'd probably spend all my time tweaking and never flying.

I guess the easy tip is to set up different .cfg options first (fsx go is a neat little tool) and then if you're going to use the auto tweaks make sure you do a backup first (I'd do an image backup, but t hats just belt and braces Steph) ;)

Each to his own though...The auto tweakers out there definitely have a place

• 5 months later...

Hi All,

Having spent over 2 years playing around with FSX tweaks I now know 100 ways on how NOT to do it.

I have a Windows XP SP3 computer, Nvidia 6200 graphics card, 2GB of RAM and my processor 2.8Gb

so its not the latest NASA set up. I only use home made scenery made with the Italian software FSET.

However I now have FSX running smoothly with hardly any tweaks to the cfg files. The biggest hit on FPS with my PC was the buffer pool size and once I set it to 10 million the whole thing had a new lease of life!!!

For those interested in figures here are my settings.

Nvidia Graphics Card

Anisotropic Filtering = Application Controlled

Anti Aliasing Filtering = Application Controlled

Extended Limit = Off

Max Prerendered Frames = 3D Application

Multi Display Mode = Multi Display

Texture Filtering = Off

Texture Filtering Negative Bias LOD = Clamp

Texture Filter Quality = Quality

Threaded Filtering Optimization= Auto

Triple Buffering = Off

Texture Filtering Anisotropic Sample Optimization = On

Texture Filtering Trilinear optimization = On

Vert Sync = 3D Application

FSX Scenery Tab and Graphics Tab

Global Texture = Max

Large

76M

1M

Water = Off

Land Textures = On

Scenery = normal

Auto Gen = Off

Special Effects = Off

Options = Full Screen Mode = On

Anisotropic Filter = Ticked

Anti Aliasing = Ticked

Frame Rate Limit = Set at 40

FSX cfg Files

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT = 40

AUTO GEN TREES AND BUILDINGS both set to = 100

Texture Loading = 0.33 msecs

Buffer Pool set to = 10 million

Display in pixel = 1

Reload textures = 30

That's all folks............................

Cheers, Michael.

Spent years running FSX at fps limited to 30 fps, but the last few months find it runs much better set to unlimited - my only major change here was upgrading the graphics card to an Invidia GTX 670 - so do think that fps settings are as much about h/w as about various configuration tweaks.

Pretty much happy with my current system's performance, but intrigued by some of the comments here & will be experimenting with some of the configuration settings... nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Ray.

• 3 months later...

I was reading this topic last night and implemented a few tweaks and a DX10 patch to fix some flickering though I'm not sure if I'll use DX10 full-time as one of my payware planes isn't 100% compatible as I thought, argh, lol. (DC-3 Legends of Flight, looks fantastic but exterior lights don't show in DX10 oddly)

So anyways, I was thinking of something that I'd like to drop in here in case anyone might can help. How to speed up the game launching after having so many addon planes, both freeware and payware, in which many add custom gauges, sounds, etc.... I've heard that this will prolong the initial launch due to it scanning through all the guages, etc. something like that right? I am presuming that when you give permission for a gauge to run when you load in the plane for the first time then it adds it to the CFG file right?

Anyways, if that is the case then I got to thinking about scrolling through the CFG for FSX last night as I was manually putting in some tweaks I found in the topic link and/or from related reference sites. I noticed a long scroll through CFG reveals tons of gauges that were added in via lots of freeware planes and some payware planes. Obviously some of them standout... such as the section for the 757 Freemium I have installed as well as two recent freeware planes being a CV-580 and L-29, but what happens when you remove planes, be they free or pay, do the associated gauges in the CFG also get removed? An example, I recently dropped a few freeware planes in recent months due to buying payware versions of the same kind of plane. I went in and compared the archive files and removed any gauges, effects, sounds, etc. manually thinking this would help alleviate the loading overhead. However, it never occurred to me the stuff getting put into the CFG... how does that work in relation to removing a plane? Does the CFG auto-adjust when you manually remove gauges? I'm guessing not.

In essense, wanting to know if this is an area for a tweak where I can gain some loading speed for FSX by removing unused entries in the CFG that may no longer be needed, etc. For example, using the website tool link in the topic and sending in my CFG it reminded me that I have used 3 different video card arrangements on this computer in the past 4+ years during which FSX has been installed. It said basically I should remove cards no longer in use or otherwise choose which card I'm actually using, so that gave me a clue to remove those old entries for old video cards I'm currently no longer using. DIdn't seem to make for a big speedup though. That is why I was curious about the gauge entries and any other stuff I may need to clean up in the CFG.

personally i do check my cfg to see if there is any mention of an a.c that I have deleted, however you will find that different planes sometimes use the same guage and by deleting say c172 guge the 210 wont work. Having said that it is logical that if you occasionally spring clean the cfg file it has to help a bit.

I do wish however that someone would write a full and easy to understand explanation of what every line does, the 2 current "bibles" give you some ideas that allow you to play around a bit, perhaps they want to keep it a black art?

for those that havent converted to DX10 yet , and havent bought P3D , it has to be said that you are missing out on a lot, the landing light and many other issues have in the main been addressed by steves dx 10 fixer and whilst there are one or two minor niggles , it gives one a far more solid sim to use , far less prone to lock up or have memory issues, if only the aces team had been allowed to continue its development, eveyone here would have long forgotten DX9 by now.

• Like 1