Shoreham Airshow Disaster

Well it was a sad end to a fabulous day for me witnessing this accident. A pair of Hurricanes performed a barrel roll, one was successful the following aircraft did the top roll part of the roll but then just plunged earth bound in to a field North West of the airfield.

It was too far away to hear if it was mechanical, the preceding manoeuvre contained many tight turns he may have blacked out but I am only guessing.

I can't see the pilot made it. I have got pictures but don't feel it appropriate to post them.

I have a post on this in the general forum Joe.

I remembered you said you were going to and air show, so when I heard it on the news my concerns immediately turned to you.

Were the pictures of the aircraft in trouble Joe? If so the authorities would find them useful for their investigation.

Glad yourself and the rest of the audience are okay.

Hi Martin,

They appealed for any footage at the show. I watched the aircraft as they were performing the rolls not taking shots when I saw the Hurricane heading for the ground it only took about 3 seconds from when he obviously couldn't recover, he hit the ground behind a hill and I have shots of the aftermath.

The pilot sadly died http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/6996734.stm

This part of the show was terminated immediately, the Spitfires performed a missing man in action flypast, I can tell you it was a very moving tribute all within minutes of the accident.

This is the only shot I want to post today as my condolence to his family

DSC_0605.jpg

Lets hope he has gone to a better place.

Flying such old aircraft is not without risk!

Those brave pilots do an admirable job, keeping those ancient machines in the air for as long as possible is important, it's a graphic reminder to all of times gone by, and of all those that gave their lives for this small island of ours. It’s also a tribute to the genius that gave rise to such amazing machines, without which our lives would be profoundly different.

I’m not as religious man as you know, but I too hope he rests in a better place.