I also find that it sometimes helps to run FSX with a capped frame rate, rather than unlimited (with the internal limiter, though, not a third-party one). I didn't have many OOM issues in the first place, but this seems to have negated them completely.

I think I may be onto something over the weekend. I've deleted my fsx.cfg and started from a brand new copy with zero tweaks. Using a utility called 'process explorer' I think I've been able to see how much VAS FSX is using. With the NGX on the ground at a UK2000 airport it's averaging about 2.3/2.4gb. One revelation was VoxATC was taking nearly 1gb itself, I presume because of the number of voice packs I was using (I have every one available and it was loading them all). As a test I then only loaded the IVONA voice packs and Vox then only took about 250mb. What I haven't worked out yet is whether the ~4gb hard VAS limit is including the Vox usage (as it was in fsx's tree) or not but if it is that is probably one big contribution to my OOM errors. It would also potentially explain why I haven't had OOM errors with any other a/c because they aren't as heavy on resources as the NGX and I mainly fly online with them as opposed to with Vox, therefore the memory use will not have been enough to cause OOMs. I need to check tomorrow night by trying a full flight as opposed to just a ground test.

If nothing else I'm learning a whole lot about memory use in win7, paging files, how fsx works etc :)

EDIT: No luck, even with Vox not running at all, trying the tutorial 1 flight with the NGX there's an OOM just around Detling VOR :( Back to the drawing board!

EDIT2: Remembered I'd started with a brand new fsx.cfg, which hadn't had the HIMEMFIX=1 added...That's in now, no other changes, will test again tonight.

Thanks Mike yes I was aware of that, the OOM this morning was when FSX touched approx 3.1gb VAS (without HIMEMFIX). I'll test it tonight with only that change to the default cfg, w/o Vox, and see what difference it makes. As I've done the tut1 flight many times before June with no OOM I'm hoping it will go ok *fingers crossed*!

I usually run only FS2Crew, Vox and Aivlasoft EFB (networked) with the NGX but for these tests I'm only using FS2Crew.

The issue then is how to integrate Vox again. Clearly reducing the number of operative voice packs makes a huge difference. Maybe I'll have to knock the clouds back to 1024 textures etc if I want to use Vox as well. It would be nice if Vox ran completely outside FSX so that it's memory usage didn't affect anything else, If I can pin it down to that I'll drop Tegwyn an email to see if there's any way he could change Vox to be less resource hungry with FSX's VAS :P

Cheers

K

Tutorial flight 1 completed this evening without any OOM. No Vox enabled, just FS2Crew and EFB running networked.

NGXtestflight8publish.jpg

Could only push the VAS use up about this high to 2.8/2.9 on this flight, maybe that was due to weather conditions. Needs some more testing as and when I can spare the time.

Cheers

k

Give a look at this page and try the tweaks and the tweaking tool. It worked for me. No more OOM, no more ctd's.

http://janvaane.org/virtualfsx/?p=113

Good luck

Thanks for that, but I've used Bojotes auto-tweaking tool before with variable results. Some of the tweaks it applies have been comprehensively rubbished by NickN, whose advice has so far proved 100% reliable to me, so I am avoiding auto-tweaking and going with only my own measured and evaluated tweaks that improve performance for me on my rig and that I understand the theoretical impact of! I'm learning more about why things work which is interesting in itself as well :)

Cheers

k

You aren't the only one who suffers from OOM errors, Kevin. I get them on a regular basis in DX9 mode if I fly to or from extremely detailed scenery areas (eg. London, ES Shawbury Fields etc). I can't understand how others get away with it when running so many detailed addons at very high detail levels. These OOM errors almost completely disappear when using DX10 Preview mode, but that introduces one or two other errors that can be unacceptable (eg. doubled up runway lights/markings, missing AI plane textures etc). I know that I can cure the latter with Addon Converter X, but when I tried to load FSX after installing that, it crashed! This was pinned down to the ES-CI-Lib.BGL file (part of Earth Simulations Channel Islands scenery), but removing that scenery is an unacceptable compromise.

Thanks Chris, I'd almost be tempted to say I was relieved it isn't just me who suffers from OOM, but 2 wrongs don't make a right as they say, and that principle definitely applies here. I've never had OOM issues flying vfr with ES sceneries though, although in the days before W7 I did get horrid graphics spikes at Shawbury! My current problems seem to be centred around complex a/c like the NGX in conjunction with VoxATC. However I have discovered a positive impact as well, since following NickN's advice and guidance in an attempt to eliminate te OOMs, I seem to have increased my ave fps to a point where I can fly with a 3 monitor Eyefinity setup at 5800x1200 at very acceptable levels, which was not the case before :)