Is the PMDG 737 NGX 737 worth the money?

PMDG 737 NGX  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Is the PMDG 737 NGX 737 worth the money?

Is it worth the money? Like in most cases, it is very much a case of 'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder'. If you really like this aircraft, plan to fly it often, use most or all of its systems, then yes, I think it is easily worth the money for what it offers. But if you only would occasionally fly this a/c or not really use most of its system, prefer basic flying models then probably not so much.

I personally enjoy the aesthetics of flight simming, I prefer that something looks good, is modeled with great detail, has high quality textures and has highly detailed bump/spec mapping. I do not care if the VC or the flight model is the same as the default 737 as long as it look and sounds good. Again, many will differ in their opinion what makes a valued a/c but that is the beauty of the FS world, there is plenty to pick and choose from :).

My 2cs.

Personally I won't be buying it for at least two reasons - a) I don't have the money and b) I can't imagine it running on my 5-year old system - it barely runs FSX let alone a highly complex airliner!

I'll be buying iFly's FS2004 version, just because of the amount of up-to-date detail and the many versions compared to the PMDG model, which is even older than my system!

Is it worth the money? Like in most cases, it is very much a case of 'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder'. If you really like this aircraft, plan to fly it often, use most or all of its systems, then yes, I think it is easily worth the money for what it offers. But if you only would occasionally fly this a/c or not really use most of its system, prefer basic flying models then probably not so much.

I personally enjoy the aesthetics of flight simming, I prefer that something looks good, is modeled with great detail, has high quality textures and has highly detailed bump/spec mapping. I do not care if the VC or the flight model is the same as the default 737 as long as it look and sounds good. Again, many will differ in their opinion what makes a valued a/c but that is the beauty of the FS world, there is plenty to pick and choose from :).

My 2cs.

I'm the other way around, I want decent visual models but with accurately modeled systems and flight dynamics. I'll probably buy this when I can get my hands on a -700 version.

It's a resounding yes for me.. the only problem is I feel like I will need to get myself a TrackIR setup to fully enjoy the VC.... with that taken into accoung it could turn into a no :D

@Mark: Then you might as well get the 800/900 package to get familiar with it.. you will need that in order to get the 600/700 package to work...

• 3 weeks later...

It's a resounding yes from me too!

It's absolutely awesome. Superb LNAV and VNAV, best I've seen in FSX. Astounding detail, systems are astonishing. HUD is beautiful.

But yes, you will need a decent system. My 17 920 at 4GHz with GTX 580, still drops into the 20's in the VC.

I have always been totally opposed to virtual cockpits, hate them, detest them. However...

The VC in the NGX is amazing. If all VC's from now on are like this, then even Martin W is a convert.

:unclemartin:

If you are going to use it a lot and have the system to run it, then it's a yes.

However, if you only have a modest system but still want to fly a great 737 go for the iFly (review to follow soon on Mutleys)

Word on the street is that the iFly 737 for FSX, is actually worse than the PMDG in the FPS department.

This surprises me. I'm confused. I'm getting old. :dancea: