John,

Do you know if there is any way to have Air Hauler only generate short flights? I've opened a base in the PNW to use the Orbx scenery and want to stay fairly close to my base and take really short jobs. I've changed the settings to generate more shorter jobs, just wondered if there was another way

Thanks

Rob,

Go to the Fleet screen - right click on the AC and select Aircraft Details. Set the range to something unrealistically low. It will not affect the actual AC but will fool the AH Job Generation routine into thinking you have a shorter range AC and will generate jobs for that AC accordingly.

Note that it will take a few days for the older jobs to expire and fall off the table and be replaced with newer ones. Also, AH deliberately generates some jobs that are beyond the range of your AC, since refuelling stops are permitted. There is a minimum distance, I think, below which it will not generate jobs - 20 NM or so? Anyway, doing that should get you plenty of jobs in the approximate range you are looking for.

Keep in mind that AH deliberately has a great deal of randomness built in. Also, the availability of airports of a suitable size for your AC and your airport size preference slider setting will come into play. If you make the constraints too tight, AH may have a hard time finding an airport of the right kind at the right distance and will simply keep looking until it finds something else, usually at a longer distance. The area within the range of your AC increases with the square of range - i.e. as the circle gets larger, the number of airports within the range circle gets very large, very fast. Conversely, as you shrink the range, there is soon a paucity of suitable airports and then AH goes "off the reservation" with unpredictable results. Moderation in all things.

There are so many different angles at work within AH that it's sometimes hard to figure out what's causing unexpected things, particularly with respect to job generation.

Hope you're having fun with it.

John

Hi john

That's great thanks. I'm using a c172 at the moment and am getting jobs in the 120nm range. Knocking about 25-30% off the range might do the trick. I just want to get some randomness into my midweek flights but at the moment the flight lengths are too long. This should solve it!

There is a minimum distance, I think, below which it will not generate jobs - 20 NM or so? Anyway, doing that should get you plenty of jobs in the approximate range you are looking for.

You can get shorter jobs by having multiple bases. The shortest job I've had was less than one mile - between two co-located airports, that had parallel runways and were literally separated by the width of a taxiway (actually they weren't, since there was a taxiway joining them!). AH forced me to take off, fly a circuit and land though - it wouldn't have it if I just taxied via alpha and charlie to the destination FBO!