VLJ flying tips - cannot seem to keep the nose down AARRRRGGHH!!

Hi people,

I know there are some really experienced people here and would like to ask a nooby question ...

I have a couple VLJ's in the hanger and I can take off perfectly fine, the issue is when I am in the air. With prop engines I can reduce RPM and throttle to keep the plane level. But with the VLJ's I have tried a lot of different things and the nose keeps rising...

Lowering the throttle didnt help, I was looking at the spoiler switches and played with them too but still didn't help too much. If I use the vertical trim to compensate it obviously works but then it goes down - I am finding it hard to stabelise the aircraft level.

So as I am new to jets; has anyone got any tips on flying these things?

Cheers,

Jim

Turbine engines are much slower to react to changes in power than piston engines, so you need to anticipate rather than react. What in pilot-speak is known as "staying ahead of the aircraft". But the fundamentals of flight are exactly the same, i.e. Power + Attitude = Performance. Just be aware that it takes a jet aircraft (or a turboprop - only real difference is that the prop blades are on the outside) much longer to settle down, and so you must not 'chase the dials' so to speak, otherwise you'll end up with PIO ('Pilot Induced Oscillation'), and that's considered A Bad Thing by the G&T drinkers in the back...

Try to find some tutorial flights for your particular aircraft (for example there are some very good tutorials for the F1 Mustang on the Mustang's dedicated support forum), and they will show you exactly what power etc settings are needed for the various phases of flight.

Thanks Tim - it sounds about right, I was having another go yesterday and as you say moving a bit of trim slowly and bit by bit managed to stable the plane after a few second of reaction time.

I think I am going to stick with the duke piston because I know how to startup/shutdown and flying it is a dream.