DC-3 Legends of Flight - anyone know how to make this turn with rudder?

You can also use differential thrust -- that's how it's taxied in the real world.

It's also possible that JF has a cheat mode for rudder steering on a config screen (I don't have that particular plane).

This is a function within the aircraft.cfg - you need to enable the tail wheel to turn by setting its parameter to at least 60 degrees in the contact point table.

But, as Tim quite rightly says, RW DC-3s taxi using the engine power and not the tail wheel...

CHeers - Dai. :cool:

Cool ill try that - I only hav 1 throttle control so its hard to do it via the 3d cockpit - ill try a few things wen I'm next on

I have had the same problem, and also don't have a twin throttle yet. During takeoff i imagine once you got fast enough you could keep the airplane aligned with the center line using the rudder, but other than that, on the ground the rudder is useless! :(

This is a function within the aircraft.cfg - you need to enable the tail wheel to turn by setting its parameter to at least 60 degrees in the contact point table.

But, as Tim quite rightly says, RW DC-3s taxi using the engine power and not the tail wheel...

CHeers - Dai. :cool:

I must have missed this comment Dai. Are you saying that even though there is a tail wheel lock/unlock switch in the cockpit you still need to edit the cfg to get the tail wheel to turn :stars:

And even if you use engine power to turn it must be easier to turn the plane around if the tail wheel rotates with the turn instead of adding friction to the ground (In real life that is, not sure if that matters in the FSX physics engine).

EDIT: Come to think of it, if I remember correctly it mattered a great deal in the default DC-3

When I first down-loaded the JF/AH DC-3, there was a comment in the aircraft.cfg that included the option of allowing the tail wheel to turn. This is independent of the (panel controlled) rear wheel lock and is, indeed, part of the FSX 'physics', in that unless you set this rotation angel to at leasst 45 degrees (60 degrees is best) then the 'plane cannot be 'steered' with the rudder pedals.

I looked again for this comment, but cannot find it. I think the aircraft.cfg has been updated in the DC-3 SP1 and doesn't contain the comment/option anymore - but I'm not 100% sure.

I guess the best solution is to raise the issue on the JF Forum. In the meantime ('which is a groovey time' - J. Hendrix) I will drag the JF Dizzie outta the hangar and give her a spin...

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

I've just checked the JF DC-3 aircraft.cfg and the contact points listing is as follows:

//0  Class
        //1  Longitudinal Position       (feet)
        //2  Lateral Position            (feet)
        //3  Vertical Position           (feet)
        //4  Impact Damage Threshold     (Feet Per Minute)
        //5  Brake Map                   (0=None, 1=Left, 2=Right)
        //6  Wheel Radius                (feet)
        //7  Steer Angle                 (degrees)
        //8  Static Compression          (feet)  (0 if rigid)
        //9  Max/Static Compression Ratio
        //10 Damping Ratio               (0=Undamped, 1=Critically Damped)
        //11 Extension Time              (seconds)
        //12 Retraction Time             (seconds)
        //13 Sound Type

[contact_points]
point.0=1,  -55.35,  0.0,   -1.87, 1200.0, 0, 0.60,  60.0, 0.200, 2.5, 0.695,  0.0,  0.0, 0.0,   0.0,   0.0

As you can see, the 'steer angle' (8th parameter) is 60.0 (degrees), so you can steer with the rudder pedals. In some aircraft.cfg's, particularly those that have not been updated by SP!, there is the possibility that this parameter remains at the original design value of 0.0 (zero degrees) and you will only be able to steer with the engines and, possibly, with differential brakes. More info here

Good Luck! :thum:

My Dizzie have been parked in the hangar for a while now. But once I'm done with the flying for the Comet review I think I need a ride in the DC-3 again, but with the 4 engines on the Comet I'm stuck with using only one of my two throttles in the FSX settings.

I've just checked the JF DC-3 aircraft.cfg and the contact points listing is as follows:

//0  Class
		//1  Longitudinal Position	   (feet)
		//2  Lateral Position			(feet)
		//3  Vertical Position		   (feet)
		//4  Impact Damage Threshold	 (Feet Per Minute)
		//5  Brake Map				   (0=None, 1=Left, 2=Right)
		//6  Wheel Radius				(feet)
		//7  Steer Angle				 (degrees)
		//8  Static Compression		  (feet)  (0 if rigid)
		//9  Max/Static Compression Ratio
		//10 Damping Ratio			   (0=Undamped, 1=Critically Damped)
		//11 Extension Time			  (seconds)
		//12 Retraction Time			 (seconds)
		//13 Sound Type

[contact_points]
point.0=1,  -55.35,  0.0,   -1.87, 1200.0, 0, 0.60,  60.0, 0.200, 2.5, 0.695,  0.0,  0.0, 0.0,   0.0,   0.0

As you can see, the 'steer angle' (8th parameter) is 60.0 (degrees), so you can steer with the rudder pedals. In some aircraft.cfg's, particularly those that have not been updated by SP!, there is the possibility that this parameter remains at the original design value of 0.0 (zero degrees) and you will only be able to steer with the engines and, possibly, with differential brakes. More info here

Good Luck! :thum:

Just to confirm - this is in the config and once changed the plane can be steared using the rudder / tail wheel - Thanks Dai