X-plane 10 demo released

The download is taking it's time..

The installer downloads from five servers at the same time, and I'm still only getting aroud 110 kilobyte/sec.

Estimated remaining download time right now: 5 hours! and it's been runing for about 2 hours already...

Guess I'm not the only one downloading at the moment ;)

Looks good at first glance, but I need to setup the controllers and reality setting properly.. taxiing a 747 felt like handling a wet soap.

And the planes I've tried so far felt and looked worse than the FSX default planes.

Looks good at first glance, but I need to setup the controllers and reality setting properly.. taxiing a 747 felt like handling a wet soap.

And the planes I've tried so far felt and looked worse than the FSX default planes.

Yup...I see X-Plane touted all the time but 'blade element theory' aside, I've never seen it outperform the equivalent MSFS platform...even on flight dynamics.

It's all fine to say that it's 'more accurate' because it calculates the plane geometry rather than it being coded in as with MSFS - but what if that geometry calculation isn't quite getting it right? Also, X-Plane is woefully bad on accounting for airframe stresses and aileron effect.

Yet every release I always give it a chance. X-plane (for me) is like the 'cocktail olive' of Flight Simulation. Every now and then you get a hankering for half a jar, you enjoy it and then you go off it for another year until next Christmas.

:whis:

There are some comments over at Aerosoft saying it runs like a dog.

I'll probably leave the download running in the background. It's unlikely I'll have a chance to play with it before Sunday anyhow.

It runs like a dog with the settings on ultra high with teh 747400. may need to create a profile in Nvidia Inspector

After 10 minutes it carries on flying but with no joystick input and a nag screen.

It runs like a dog with the settings on ultra high with teh 747400. may need to create a profile in Nvidia Inspector

After 10 minutes it carries on flying but with no joystick input and a nag screen.

Thanks for posting, Mut...

I looks OK I suppose...but against FSX (if we're talking about competing on visuals) the textures just seem a bit dated to me.

Well, I managed to bet the 747 to go round and round on the ground for 10 minutes till me penny ran out, and blew some tyres in the process. I couldn't get it up though. So to speak. As it were. :whis:

Next time I'll try plugging a joystick in. (oh dear, it gets worse!)

I couldn't get it up though. So to speak. As it were. :whis: Next time I'll try plugging a joystick in. (oh dear, it gets worse!)

....Just like a bad Carry On scene!

I haven't tried using it without the joystick, I had the going around in circles thing too. There are some controls to iron that out.

The helicopter flight dynamics are interesting, awful cockpits, no VC and couldn't find the controls I was looking for.

• 2 years later...

Having seen some pretty interesting vids and pictures recently on mutleys I thought I would have another look, out of curiosity ,at X-plane, so started to download the demo, well it proudly announced it was downloading from 3 servers simultaneously, WOW !! however the best speed each of their 3 servers could muster was about 175kb/sec giving an average download of 450-500k this is not at all impressive and like others here after seeing the time to finish the download repeatedly going up from 77 to 95 minutes I gave up after about 75 minutes.

just to make a comparison I had a look at PB and found the whole prog there, all 55gbs worth, so again out of curiosity I started to download it---------at 1300kb/sec.!!!  ie 3 times the xplane speed

after about 5 minutes I stopped the download as i have better things to do with my p.c. and as curious as I am about XP I still think it is 3 years behind FSX and gradually falling further behind as the fsx dev's find new ways of bypassing the old fsx engine.

But I do find it a bit sad that a company that is theoretically trying to get a foot hold in the flight sim market can only anti up a really pathetic download speed that must put off loads of potential customers, me included.