Hi Guys,

I have tried a dual boot with windows 7 ultimate to try FSX on it - as I kept getting OOM on the XP. After installing it chose my native resolution for my screen 1920 x 1080 - I always drop this to about 1600 x 900 on XP so thought I would do the same on Windows 7 setup.

When I choose this resolution and start a game it sets the resolution on its own to 1600 x 1200 - if I go into the settings again it shows the selected 1600 x 900 resolution?

I have tried modifying the cfg file and that made no difference either.

Anyone had this before??

I have tried setting it to other resolutions and they all seem to work just fine - but the one that I actually want is messed up (typical)

Cheers

Jim

Hi Jim

*Possible theory*

It looks as though the system is trying to maintain your screen resolution ratio of 1:77777 1920 x 1080 and 1600 x 900 are ok as they are both 1:1.7777

1600 x 1200 is a ratio of 1:1.3333 so it drops it to 1600 x 900 to retain the correct ratio for your screen.

Cheers,

Joe

Make sure you have WideViewAspect=true set in your fsx.cfg. 1600:1200 is a 4:3 ratio (old 'square' TV), whereas 1600:900 is 16:9, which is the modern widescreen TV ratio. Looks like your FS doesn't realise it's widescreen.

Big question though is why you are changing from the native resolution? Things are *always* better when run at the native res.

Thanks Joe - its the other way round mate - FSX is putting it to 1600 x 1200 and I want it to be 1600 x 900.

Thanks for the response Tim I will try this later - normally I would keep the native resolution but I found loading times and performance to be better at this resolution and the difference wasn't much so I thought I would keep it to what I know etc.

I will keep you posted

Just a quick update - I modified the entry in the config and restarted FSX but still no different; its OK I might be re-installing it all again anyways haven't made my mind up yet - then I can check from the original vanilla install if it works or not.

I might even turn down a couple of things if I am in a big airport - for small airports and when I am flying all is well