New broom sweeps clean for the new year. I'm looking to do a bit of FSX housekeeping and just wondered if anyone had any tips or suggestions for managing your hangar and scenery?

The idea of the housekeeping is more to do with improving load times rather than saving storage as I have plenty of hard disk space.

Some of the Mutleys veterans must have hundreds of aircraft - do you just leave them all installed or do you remove some of them and add them back as you want to fly them? I've read somewhere about disabling aircraft via the config so they don't show in FSX rather than remove them but I don't know if this would help load times. If you remove them what is the best way to do this?

I assume default aircraft are best left alone?

With regard to scenery, I'm currently flying exclusively over the Orbx US/Canada scenery so is it best to uncheck all other scenery in the scenery library?

Anyway, if anyone has any tips for hangar management then please post them.

Hi Graeme,

I have a folder called "My hangar" where I move the aircraft to from the simobjects / aircraft folders if I am not going to be flying them for a while rather than deleting them. As you mentioned, don't move the default aircraft.

There's no use in disabling areas as far as I know. Yesterday I deleted my FSX.cfg (After copying it sideways) so FSX would create a new one and added in a couple of tweaks I use and it loaded twice as fast! The down side is you have to re-do your display and controls setting but it was good for me!

Cheers,

Joe

If FSX works like FS9, you should be aware that removing the aircraft folder from the SimObjects -> Airplane folder only gets part of it in many cases. Installed AC sometimes add files to the global Sounds, Effects and Gauges folders and for much of the payware and even some freeware, may even create their own subfolder under the parent FS folder.

Doing what you're planning to do should not cause any problems but there will be harmless "artifacts" left behind from the process.

John