Guess The Airport

Taking a leaf from John's book, another riddle I present.

In a wide brown land full of beauty and terror is me,
a land of sweeping plains, of drought and flooding rains.
On a path distinguished by a pole and cross I sit,
far not from a confluence of polity thrice, be it.
With a gathering to have fun, I am oft associated,
but now it is more hot air and flying in and out that keeps them sated.

airport1.jpg

airport2.jpg

Cheers
Andrew

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

.... On this planet John! ♬ There is a house.... ♬

OK, maybe I made this too difficult, or no one has been looking!

A few more clues then.

The town I service has no residents or local government boss,

on a route associated with the desert I cross.

Accommodation you will find, but not one house,

just the little Dusky Hopping Mouse.

Cheers

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've had the ball on this one for quite a long time and just realized it. Let he who is without short term memory loss cast the first stone.

No graphics on this one. You must name the airport in question from the clues below.  All airport data is from stock FSX

The airport you must guess shall be referred to as Airport A

You'll have to identify some others to find the clues you need to work out the identity of airport A. I don't need you to name the other airports, only Airport A, but you'll need to figure out the others to identify airport A.

Airport A is NOT a major airport.

Airports B, C, D and E are major airports.

The nations containing airports A, B, C, D and E were all major belligerants of WWII.

--- Clues about Airport A ---

• A treaty ending a war, named for a city in Airport B's country, shares the name of airport A's city.
  • Airport A's ICAO code is only three characters.

--- Clues to the Identity of Airport B ---

• Airport B is in a national capital.
  • Airport B's latitude and longitude are N and E values
  • Airport B's airport name is two words, but the first is short - an "article", in terms of part of speech.
  • Airport B was the destination of a historic flight.

--- Clues to the Identity of Airport A to be found at Airport B ---

• The first character of Airport B's ICAO code is the 9th letter of Airport A's airport name (neglecting spaces).
  • The last character of the ILS ID for airport B's shortest ILS-equipped runway is the 4th and 7th letter of Airport A's airport name (neglecting spaces).

--- Clues to the Identity of Airport C ---

• Airport C is in a large metropolitan area with several major internaional airports.
  • Airport C's latitude and longitude are N and W.
  • Airport C has four runways, with parallel pairs at right angles.
  • Airport C is named for a war hero of WWII who entered politics after the war.

--- Clues to the Identity of Airport A to be found at Airport C ---

• The designator of the taxiway that leads to the most northerly of the fuel pumps at this airport is the second and third letter of Airport A's airport name.

--- Clues to the Identity of Airport D ---

• The last two letters of Airport D's ICAO code are the same.
  • Airport D is in a national capital.
  • Airport D's latitude and longitude are N and E.

--- Clues to the Identity of Airport A to be found at Airport D ---

• A taxiway encircles the south end of the most southerly terminal building at airport D, lying SW, S and SE of the building. That taxiway is the closest taxiway to the terminal building in those directions. The designator of that taxiway is the first letter of Airport A's airport name.

--- Clues to the Identity of Airport E ---

• Airport E is NOT in the national capital but is in a state capital.
  • Airport E's latitude and longitude are S and E
  • Airport E lies in the southeastern part of the country.
  • The second and third characters of Airport E's ICAO code are the same.

--- Clues to the Identity of Airport A to be found at Airport E ---

• The designator of second taxiway from the west end of airport E's E/W runway is the 5th letter of Airport A's airport name.
  • The middle character of both Airport E's ILS IDs is the 6th and 8th letter of Airport A's airport name (neglecting spaces).

Happy hunting...

John

• 3 weeks later...

John,

To the contrary, I have been keenly working away at it, in between a busy week.  Slowly piecing it together - I think.  :stars:

This type of puzzle is excellent and appeals to my anal retentive intellect - though some would question the level of intellect.  :woot: Let's face it, anyone who uses Gonzo as their avatar is questionable in the first place, even though the title was thrust upon me.  :cool:

Cheers

Andrew

John,

Spent a good few solid hours on this yesterday and was positive I was on the right track and definitely getting somewhere. Now I'm not quite so sure.

Oh well, back to the research and frustration. :stars:

Cheers

Andrew

Clear on that point and all the facts, for that matter, John.

Question is, whether my analytical logic process is leading me in the right direction in the first place, or is it basically flawed. Throw in the act of then questioning my own logic, doubt sets in, and the process starts to spiral down the proverbial S bend before I take a breath, a swig of red wine and slap myself around for a dose of a reality check.

Another swig of red wine and back to the grindstone, flicking between web pages, airport diagrams and a secret tool I am using to verify my research.

Then another swig of red wine.

Fortunately, the wine is limited to one glass, but that glass holds a full 750 ml bottle. Hmmm, that could be having a negative affect. :D

Now I'm not sure if I have spent more time on the problem or more time drinking. :stars:

Cheers

Andrew

Yes it is John. :gaah: I revisit this one every once in awhile and still get kinda lost tracking stuff down. My attention tends to wander during the search too which doesn't help. The person that figures this one out will have definitely earned a pat on the back brain. My money is on Andrew because he has a secret tool. :D

I'd start with a table of the Lat/Long quadrants. N-E, N-W, S-E, S-W. In that table I'd put the names of the countries that were major belligerents in WWII. In most cases I've given the quadrant, so your candidate countries for airports B, C, D and E are from the table. That should narrow things quite a bit. Two of the four are capital cities, so that homes you in even more.

John

So, after another bottle of red wine, it all became very clear. :woot:  The first thing was to correct the transposing errors of having placed letters in the wrong position - doh! :stars: The second was to ensure the most northerly was, in fact, the most northerly - second doh!  :stars:  :stars:

Then, surprisingly, it all just fell into place.  :yikes:

Airport A is:

• in the USA,
  • in the state of Missouri,
  • in Morgan County,
  • in the city of Versailles.

Cheers

Andrew

:whis:

Right on the first try, Andrew - congratulations.

OK, folks, here's the Rosetta Stone that Andrew worked through.

All airport data is from stock FSX

The airport you must guess shall be referred to as Airport A

You'll have to identify some others to find the clues you need to work out the identity of airport A. I don't need you to name the other airports, only Airport A, but you'll need to figure out the others to identify airport A.

Airport A is NOT a major airport.

Airports B, C, D and E are major airports. LFPB, KJFK, RJAA, YMML

The nations containing airports A, B, C, D and E were all major belligerants of WWII. FRANCE; USA; JAPAN; AUSTRALIA

--- Clues about Airport A ---

A treaty ending a war, named for a city in Airport B's country, shares the name of airport A's city. - VERSAILLE

Airport A's ICAO code is only three characters. - 3VS

--- Clues to the Identity of Airport B --- LFPB LE BOURGET

Airport B is in a national capital. - PARIS, FRANCE

Airport B's latitude and longitude are N and E values - N48*56.17'; E2*26.49'

Airport B's airport name is two words, but the first is short - an "article", in terms of part of speech. - LE BOURGET

Airport B was the destination of a historic flight. - LINDBERGH

--- Clues to the Identity of Airport A to be found at Airport B ---

The first character of Airport B's ICAO code is the 9th letter of Airport A's airport name (neglecting spaces). LFPB -> - - - - - - - - L

The last character of the ILS ID for airport B's shortest ILS-equipped runway is the 4th and 7th letter of Airport A's airport name (neglecting spaces). - RUNWAY 27 (6,069') ILS ID = RGE -> - - - E - - E - L

--- Clues to the Identity of Airport C --- KJFK KENNEDY INTL

Airport C is in a large metropolitan area with several major international airports. - NYC; KENNEDY, LAGUARDIA; NEWARK

Airport C's latitude and longitude are N and W. - JFK = N40*38.39'; W73*46.74'

Airport C has four runways, with parallel pairs at right angles. JFK = 13L/31R; 13R/31L; 04R/22L; 04L/22R

Airport C is named for a war hero of WWII who entered politics after the war. - JOHN F. KENNEDY

--- Clues to the Identity of Airport A to be found at Airport C ---

The designator of the taxiway that leads to the most northerly of the fuel pumps at this airport is the second and third letter of Airport A's airport name. - TAXIWAY TT -> - T T E - - E - L

--- Clues to the Identity of Airport D --- RJAA NARITA

The last two letters of Airport D's ICAO code are the same. - RJAA (NARITA)

Airport D is in a national capital. - TOKYO

Airport D's latitude and longitude are N and E. - N35*45.88'; E140*23.18'

--- Clues to the Identity of Airport A to be found at Airport D ---

A taxiway encircles the south end of the most southerly terminal building at airport D, lying SW, S and SE of the building. That taxiway is the closest taxiway to the terminal building in those directions. The designator of that taxiway is the first letter of Airport A's airport name. - TAXIWAY O -> O T T E - - E - L

--- Clues to the Identity of Airport E --- YMML MELBOURNE INTL

Airport E is NOT in the national capital but is in a state capital. - MELBOURNE

Airport E's latitude and longitude are S and E - S37*40.40'; E144*50.60'

Airport E lies in the southeastern part of the country. - AUSTRALIA

The second and third characters of Airport E's ICAO code are the same. - YMML

--- Clues to the Identity of Airport A to be found at Airport E ---

The designator of second taxiway from the west end of airport E's E/W runway is the 5th letter of Airport A's airport name. TAXIWAY N -> O T T E N - E - L

The middle character of both Airport E's ILS IDs is the 6th and 8th letter of Airport A's airport name (neglecting spaces). RUNWAY 16 ILS ID = IMS; RUNWAY 27 ILS ID = IMW -> O T T E N M E M L -> OTTEN MEML