• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wing struts above the wing have to be big - they're in compression rather than tension and have to be beefy enough to not buckle. Wings struts below the wing are in tension and the load-bearing elemen

But can it lay an egg?   I've seen photos of that one before but don't know what it is or where it's based.  Such poor taste in flying objects is more commonly seen in the hot air balloon ge

What a cock up.

Posted Images

With Brett only having put the La-7 up recently, I wasn't going to go with something from the Lavochkin stable, so sorry Alan it's not.

Nor is it the Il-2, Kieran.

Without giving too much away, it's not Ilyushin, Lavochkin or Sukhoi.  That should start to narrow the field somewhat.

Cheers

Andrew

Not a MiG of any type either.  OK, final clues before I reveal the answer.

In fact, this aircraft was developed about the same time as the MiG 1 and it's first flight was on 18 May 1940, 6 weeks after the MiG 1.  The aircraft was designed by a former employee of Polikarpov, but after 3 prototypes were built, the project was cancelled in 1941.

Another photo.

aircraft2.jpg

Cheers
Andrew

While going through the different aircraft trying to find the answers here, I have been surprised how many look very similar but are from different countries. I realize that alot of them are renamed and sold but it also looks like there was a bit of plan stealing going on too.

This is a great thread to learn about all the multitudes of aircraft built of the years for a newbie like me and I highly recommend getting involved in it. Just be ready for exhaustive search marathons that start to get obsessive. :stars: