• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wing struts above the wing have to be big - they're in compression rather than tension and have to be beefy enough to not buckle. Wings struts below the wing are in tension and the load-bearing elemen

But can it lay an egg?   I've seen photos of that one before but don't know what it is or where it's based.  Such poor taste in flying objects is more commonly seen in the hot air balloon ge

What a cock up.

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Beats me but I know its a brilliant Model, how long you had this Alan ?

Tony.

I built this one a few years ago, this aircraft was the first in a long line of excellent and very distinctive aircraft. Though the companies most well known ones were biplanes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi and welcome to the forums here sixa.:hat:

It's hard to tell from that angle but I don't know of any that would only have those wing struts (probably designed like that for easy model construction) and there are only a few that have an undercarriage without any other support showing so that would leave any identifying markings and or the specific shape of the fuselage from a side on shot. It might just be a facsimile of an aircraft designed for easy manufacture.  

That said, there are a couple of members here with amazing aircraft identifying skills so give it some time and see what comes up.

Good info here from Wiki...

Four-stroke radials have an odd number of cylinders per row, so that a consistent every-other-piston firing order can be maintained, providing smooth operation. For example, on a five-cylinder engine the firing order is 1, 3, 5, 2, 4 and back to cylinder 1. Moreover, this always leaves a one-piston gap between the piston on its combustion stroke and the piston on compression. The active stroke directly helps compress the next cylinder to fire, making the motion more uniform. If an even number of cylinders were used, an equally timed firing cycle would not be feasible.[1] The prototype radial Zoche aero-diesels (below) have an even number of cylinders, either four or eight; but this is not problematic, because they are two-stroke engines, with twice the number of power strokes as a four-stroke engine.

This strongly implies that what's shown, with six cylinders, is some kind of 2-stroke engine, possibly even a "rotary engine" though from the cowl details and close fit to the fuselage it doesn't look like the latter.  I kind of wonder if this isn't just a toy or a "notional model", not intended to be an accurate representation of anything in the real world.

There appears to be a faired "headrest" behind the cockpit, which implies post WWI and as Brett notes, the lack of bracing struts or wires for the gear legs and between the wings further leads me to believe it's not a model of a real plane, just some toymaker's stab at the concept.  

Whatever you have there looks pretty old and might just be worth something.

John

EDIT:  Looking again, I think I see pushrod tubes and rocker arm covers, strongly implying a 4-stroke engine.  If so, that would be a six-cylinder, 4-stroke radial, and for the reasons given in the Wiki piece above would be pretty impractical.  If it ran it all it would probably shake like the proverbial dog passing peach pits.

JDA

• Like 1