It looks like a between the wars radial engine aircraft, civilian, I have seen it somewhere and I just cant bring it to mind.

Ill get back to you.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wing struts above the wing have to be big - they're in compression rather than tension and have to be beefy enough to not buckle. Wings struts below the wing are in tension and the load-bearing elemen

But can it lay an egg?   I've seen photos of that one before but don't know what it is or where it's based.  Such poor taste in flying objects is more commonly seen in the hot air balloon ge

What a cock up.

Posted Images

I suspect it is a toy maker's version of his ideal of what a biplane looks like. I suspect they may have seen many pictures of planes from the racing era that the BeeGee racer comes from...the cockpit looks right up against the vertical stabilizer, a common look of that vintage. John's observations about the radial engine having the wrong number of cylinders makes me think the artist may not even have directly designed from actual pictures,  but from recollections of pictures they had seen. Like, I as an artist can draw a fairly convincing representation of a blimp or zeppelin because I have drawn many of them before, but if you put one of my sketches on a forum and asked folks to ID the maker of the blimp that inspired it...it would be anyone's guess.

/2 cents from an artist perspective.

Edited by Captain Coffee

It was the BeeGee that I had in mind, Back to scratching my head, but it feels like it is, as Matt says, a toy makers impression of what a racing biplane should look like.

Wow guys I'm impressed. I thought nobody would want to respond for that. And here it is, such a great discussion. This is very helpful what you all have written since this question was asked by my boss and I couldn't answer what plane it was. 

Now I know much more thanks to you. Thanks !

• Like 1

I don't think that's it - on the model the cylinders are exposed, the wings are of equal length and the wing struts are vertical.  On the Polikarpov the cylinders are completely shrouded, the lower wing is much shorter than the upper and the wing struts seem to be canted outward at the top by quite a bit.

John

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, allardjd said:

I don't think that's it - on the model the cylinders are exposed, the wings are of equal length and the wing struts are vertical.  On the Polikarpov the cylinders are completely shrouded, the lower wing is much shorter than the upper and the wing struts seem to be canted outward at the top by quite a bit.

John

The I-15 seems to have several variations, so it's possible was based loosely on one, however, it could well be just a generic "Biplane" possibly made for a presentation piece etc. It is very crude by any standards.

• Like 1

I am fairly sure that it is only a toy, not modelled on a specific aircraft.

It is reminiscent of some of the caricature aircraft that Alan has made.   

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Right you are Andrew.:hat: The original was built by aircraft racer Jimmy Wedell and was built specifically to compete in the 1930 All-American Flying Derby from Buffalo to Detroit although it was never finished in time. Their were two aircraft but the were both destroyed by the 1930's and the aircraft pictured above is a only a gorgeous replica. More here for the full story and the unedited image.

Over to you Andrew.....

• 2 months later...

I'm going to go with the Bacon Super T-6. 

But you're right, it was a pretty tough one.

John 

EDIT: Only one built.  It didn't exactly sell like the hotcakes that normally go with bacon.

EDIT EDIT: It looked enough like a Yak-18 that I spent a fair amount of time disproving that it was some little-know variant of that.  It's not.

John

Here's the next one.  I think the only way to give some of the experts here a challenge is to only give them bits and pieces.  Having said that I think this one is pretty easy and probably won't last 15 minutes, unless they get into the "I know but I'm leaving it for someone else" mode.  This blocked out image shows some of the most recognizable features of this AC.

John

y4mtNh6Tas9O-kZtHTYJzlcMqHiDPVwxla-mBIKw

1 hour ago, Andrew Godden said:

Grumman A-6 Intruder variant. The speed brakes and position of the refueling probe are the dead give away. The tail hook merely confirmed it being a carrier borne variant of an aircraft.

Agree. EA-6B Prowler I'd say.

31 minutes ago, Holdit said:

Agree. EA-6B Prowler I'd say.

No, it's the standard attack bomber version of the A-6.  Andrew's got it.  I didn't think this one would be very hard.  It's a well-known aircraft produced in large numbers and has some distinctive features, which I tried to include.

It also has a nose only a mother could love (or maybe a radar technician) but I couldn't figure out how to include that without it being a dead giveaway.

Another interesting feature of the Intruder is that the ailerons only deflect upward, permitting full-span flaps. 

Nice work, Andrew.

y4mZ8x1FMcVwZjRt1_nS5mR5BteW2vFji3XYdWvP