• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wing struts above the wing have to be big - they're in compression rather than tension and have to be beefy enough to not buckle. Wings struts below the wing are in tension and the load-bearing elemen

But can it lay an egg?   I've seen photos of that one before but don't know what it is or where it's based.  Such poor taste in flying objects is more commonly seen in the hot air balloon ge

What a cock up.

Posted Images

I thought this might of gone on a little longer after Kieran's first guess.

John, your choice of a retractable gear aircraft of this vintage was a good shot and the gear position indicator in the middle of the panel is the biggest clue in this image.

However, 'hat's off' to Kieran for recognising the 'glove box' in the bottom right corner and recalling the information on BritSim.

It is, indeed, a Heston Type I / II 'Phoenix' produced by the Heston Aircraft Company. A five seat touring monoplane, it first flew on 18 August 1935, with six being built over the period 1935 - 1937.

Congrats and over to you again Kieran.

Cheers

Andrew

It was the window framing that put me in mind of the staggerwing, but it was an offhand guess with no real research behind it.

I recently saw an aircraft at Fantasy of flight that had that compass set inside a box in the panel like that, but can't recall what it was. I did take a couple of photos and will look them up when I get home from this trip. It may have been a Gypsy Moth but I knew that this, of course, was not one of those.

Congrats to Kieran, who's becoming an aviation authority to be reckoned with these days.

John

I'm not in a postion to post a new one now, so will not name the AC, leaving it open for others. If it's still unclaimed when I return home on Monday I'll make an official guess and, if correct, will make another posting. That will give me plenty of time to come up with something really devious and underhanded.

John