What about Aerofly?

I still dont hold out much hope for MS Flight but love new flight sims :) FSX and my add ons will last me for years yet I reckon, but we still need to keep an eye open for the future.

I'd kind of heard about AeroflyPC being mentioned a few times but never really took it seriously until I saw this video of crash testing ... or testing its physics.

Aerofly is kinda limited too in that it only has the whole of Switzerland for scenery ... but thats a lot more than MS Flight has from the start, just been looking at the Aerofly site and they too promise more DLC in the future.

What Aerofly does lack just now is change of day and weather (amongst other stuff) ... I'm not sure if Flight has variable weather? but I think it does offer night time flying or hoop flying through? But just as some avid supporters of Flight on other forums point out ... "Not Yet" that holds true for Aerofly too, they have already promised more scenery area's and the company seem far more approachable and less 007 ... hush hush, we could tell you but we'd have to kill you than the current team at Microsoft behave with their new Flight game.

Another area of concern for a lot of Flight Simmers is that Aeroflys history is with simulating Remote Control Aircraft, they have software that lets you use your RC transmitter to control simulated RC Aircraft very accuratly ... I used to do Aeromodelling when I was younger and some of the RC models I see these days are very expensive and need training of some sort ... But having thought about this, this is a bonus IMHO ... RC Aircraft like real Aircraft are subject to the same laws of physics and gravity ... does any one remember the original (not the horrible re-make) Film ... Flight of the Phonix? When they set out to rebuild their crashed Aircraft they find out they have an Aircraft designer as one of the survivors, then when James Stewart goes ballistic when he finds out the Engineer designed Aeromodel Aircraft but eventually accepts the physics are just the same ... well, the same holds true for this sim I reckon :)

Its out on the 20th of this month for UK/US purchasers, its not too dear and I think I'm going to give it a go, with enough support this could go on to greater things ... all new sims need to start somewhere.

Sorry for posting this here, but I couldent think of a better sub forum to post to! Maybe if this sim is succesful it can have its own group here.

Great post, M! Ikarus's Aerofly looks really good - especially when you've got the best video cards, etc. I didn't know about the RC background, but what you say about modelling and physics sure makes sense.

And thanks for the reminder about Flight of the Phoenix. I've seen both films - the 'remake' was a travesty, missed the point almost completely i favour of an up country dust up with shady a-rabs! The author, Trevor Elliston, also wrote the Quiller books - under the name of Adam Hall and one of my favourite re-reads, must have been spinning in his grave...

On the MS FLIGHT front, weather, time of day and season, aircraft, so forth, is changeable - albeit within the confines of Hawaii. The weather engine is on a par with REX - it's streets ahead of default FSX - but this is an 'IMHO'!! :whis:

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

Cheers Colin,

First off, welcome to your idea of an "Others Sims" forum, your wish is my command!

That is a great video, especially in 1080 fullscreen, it's great to see that there are alternatives, if they are reasonably priced and cover an aero you are interested in flying in with greater detail then why not?!

Cheers... Joe

AeroFly looks fantastic, i love the fact that it actually models real physics, something FSX should have had. I wonder if AeroFly maps the terrain so that the airfields aren't flat as a sheet of ply?? Is there a demo version of the program out yet, because i really could see myself picking this one up... i already own the Ikarus AeroFly 5.7 for RC, as well as RealFlight G5.5 and Pheonix 3, and the physics in those is superb.

The crash model on AeroFly FS looks exceptional too, no more 'overstress' warnings from FS9/X...just a thud and your wings 'clap' or your undercarriage collapses - very nice!

I'll be keeping a close eye on this software for a while, see what comes of the DLC offerings.

I've moaned for a long time about the way you just pass through things in FS - it ought to have some sort of improved physics engine whereby objects behave like objects. And it's not just about crashing into things or having the plane break up, but simple little practicalities like chocking the wheels so the plane doesn't roll down a hill (there were several times in my exploration of NZ that I'd land on some rough undulating strip, go off to do something else and when I got back... well, the plane wasn't where I left it!)

Strangely I think that Aerofly FS has a better appeal towards Flight's target market than Flight does.

Also Ikarus have been in the simulation market (albeit for RC) for quite a few years and have built up a good name and reputation. This is a company that is all about flying, as opposed to a software/gaming company that just happens to have a flying title.

Yes it has limitations. yes it's Switzerland-only (more interesting than Hawaii, IMHO), yes it has a conventional pricing model rather than the 'freemium' model adopted by MS, but I think it deserves a lot more success than I suspect it'll get.

• 3 weeks later...

Whilst I think M.S. have really shot themselves in the foot with flight, i have to admit more competition in the simulator genre will make everyone produce a better product. Whilst I am the first to admit aerofly is quite limited at the moment i enclose a video made by my friend andreas paschen. Now andreas is the person who has made the best vids for fsx all available on vimeo, not youtube rubish, you can download these and watch them over and over. Andreas was so taken with aerofly that he quickly drummed up this video and after a few talks with the makers of aerofly his advice is watch this spot!!

see these vids of his

very good - I went to the aeroflyFS site and there's some not bad stuff there as well. What I'm quite take with is that the sim including all that 1m Swiss scenery and all the stuff including some great sailplane/glider action is a damn sight cheaper than (FSX) scenery for Switzerland (which I've wanted) on its own - sooooooooo . . . .

edit - although now having downloaded and read the manual, its clear its not quite as sophisicated as a full FS like FSX - seems much less functionality in aircraft beyond basic flaps, u/c, lights etc. AP is a simple one size fits all and instruments "all are animated" do not seem to be so real - e.g all aircraft have moving map and AP it seems -even the Sopwith Camel?. it looks a bit more on the game side but nowhere near as bad as Flight - still looks like a good relaxed way to enjoy the Swiss scenery!

i would be the first to say it is early days for aerofly there are lots of glareing shortages but if this is their first effort i think they need a pat on the back, IMHO its a whole lot better than Flight , not that that is difficult.

here is another of andreas's vids, i am currently planning a collaboration with him for later this year. This guy makes videos like no other

for glider pilots there is:

check out the 3d

this next one at st mays is sooo realistic i have landed there only once in a 207 in a good crosswind and the sea was just this colour

the beauty of vimeo is they have far better bandwidth than youtube plus you can download them and watch them over and over

Mutley perhaps these vids would be better tranferred to the videos page?

I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect a small group of people to come out of nowhere and show up with something that will seriously stand up next to the FS9/FSX product line. MSFS is far from perfect, but those packages are the result of a couple of decades of major revisions by a major corporation whose heart and soul were really in it up until the last one. Three guys working out of a basement somewhere are not likely to outdo that – they will eventually lose focus, lose interest and lose their shirts long before they can come close.

Aviation is a high, wide and deep topic with many, many highly technical and complex facets. For anyone starting from scratch to succeed at modeling that is going to require a corporate entity with deep pockets to finance the licensing or purchase of the necessary data and tools, the data aggregation and the programming needed to put together a credible flight simulator. To expect some start-up that you’ve never heard of before to suddenly come on the scene with something that is worthy of replacing FS9/FSX is just extreme wishful thinking.

I know we all want something better, and it’s high time for that, but if and when it happens, it’s going to be from Microsoft (but Flight is emphatically NOT it), Prepar3D, or far less likely but remotely possible, from X-Plane or someone like Aerosoft. This is not a trivial, 3-month project and no one else has the capability or the resources needed to do it.

...if and when it happens, it’s going to be from Microsoft (but Flight is emphatically NOT it), Prepar3D...

EDIT: It could, someday, be MS. They had a change of heart from their original passion for FS. They could have another. In terms of the raw capability to do it, they are in a better position than anyone else, lacking only the will at this point. That COULD change somewhere down the road.

Oh well, I'm retired and life is good as well - betcha this will still all be going on after i've popped me clogs as they say . . .

yeah i disagree with John as well whilst aerofly does need a lot of work to get it anywhere near as good as fs9/x when you look at the qaulity of the exterior modelling they are already better than fsx. yes not all the instruments work at the moment but that doesnt take a lot to get them programmed in.

whilst I am perfectly comfortable with my current fsx setup i cannot see M.S. producing fs11 in less than 2 years even if they wanted to, and i am willing to bet the current M.S. management have no intention of doing so or they would have not sacked aces. M.S. is suffering from a well known syndrome "we know what the clients want and they will buy it"----- WRONG

consequently i am very happy to see new kids on the block doing quite a decent job and i herald that these guys are no duffers they have a strong group of developers who know where they are going and fsims loss is their gain. Mark my words their space will be worth watching. I will buy it even in its current very limited form .

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yep, Devon ... Aerofly in the second video reminds me of Flight Unlimited 1 (the aerobatic one) very much, loved it when it came out on DOS and I think there was a Win95 version too, even Flight Unlimited 2 and 3 were well ahead of what MS were doing with their sims of the time.

They can be beaten.

I've still not bought Aerofly yet, but this is my next flight sim purchase for sure ... also I need to catch up on my research for this one to see if there are any more plans to develop it towards a more complex flight sim platform and see what if any possible future additions for it are planned, its been a few months since its original release so perhaps there is more news now?

For sure I cant see MS Flight the way it is lasting me much more than a week or two with its new fascination before I get bored of it altogether.

• 2 weeks later...

well i have been playing with this now for over a week yes there is a strong resemblance to FU 95, in fact i wouldnt be surprised if they hadnt bought the rights and worked up from there, and one has to say there is quite a similarity with flight as well, however the scenery is better than flight ,and the standard fsx, and you dont get a coconut bra if you do a good landing. the flight charactoristics are quite good but not all the guages work as yet just the flying T . However the aircraft exterior is sublime with proper leading edge shapes and lots of little details that make it so much better than flight. It is difficult not to continually draw a lot of direct comparisons with flight however when you consider the financial clout that m.s. can throw at any project, one would be lead into thinking that aerofly was produced by m.s. and flight by some small up and coming software company not the other way round.

If you are one of those happy with flight my advice is by this you will be happier.

• 7 months later...

Dredging up an old thread here...

I got an e-mailed ad for Aerofly today from SimShack, which I suspect many of you did too. I did a search here to refresh myself on what's been said about it before at MH.

http://www.simshack.net/product_info.php?products_id=657

Looking at the SimShack ad I see that $67 will get you Switzerland and eight aircraft (all piston singles or gliders, except the FA-18), with no one making add-ons for it - yet, if ever.

I can find no evidence in the article about ATC, traffic or an extensive library of navaids, or even mention of the capability to use navaids. It appears to be optimized for drilling holes in the sky in complete solitude over gorgeous scenery. From what I can see, beyond that, it does little to simulate a serious aviation environment.

I stand by what I said in an earlier post in this thread - while it's a nice piece of work, it's not what we are waiting for. This outfit will not have the necessary resources to buy the data and model the world. What's there looks fantastic in the videos and they are to be congratulated for the accomplishment that represents, but it's what's NOT there that indicates to me that this is not in the running to be the NGFS.

If we want the option to fly a wide variety of aircraft anywhere in the world within a reasonably plausible environment that includes WX, ATC, navaids, traffic, procedures, navigation, instruments, multiplayer, etc, with a still-robust stream of third party add-ons and the capability to tweak and customize most every part of it, this isn't within a country mile of it. FSX is. P3D is. X-Plane is nibbling at important parts of it. Aerofly is not remotely close yet and I can't see that they have the resources to pull all that together. It's not a trivial undertaking and I still cannot imagine a small-scale start-up pulling it off without the heavy backing of one of the big players.

John

• 2 months later...

Dragging things up again!

We have Aerofly with beautiful scenery, we have P3D with the coding for high-end computers, we have XPLane with the laminar research, and we have Microsoft with the money. Someone needs to say: Microsoft, give us enough money to develop this - it'll be good enough for real-world pilots to practice on, it'll run on today's machines, and don't forget there's an audience of flight-sim enthusiasts who would be forever grateful if it came to fruition... we might even buy Flight Mark II if FS11 was good enough. We have the individual components, why can't they all get along and make them and us proud? If they combined it with Outerra or something we'd have the right geography engine as well.

There's serious promise here, surely.