Aircraft Carriers

I seem to remember (back in the days of FS5!) that there were several aircraft carriers in the basic MS Flight Simulator (ie with no addons) ... south of Hawaii, and just off the coast from San Francisco, if my memory holds up ...... do any forum members know if there exist now any carriers in MS FSX ......... ???

David

The Abacus Flight Deck series places carriers in various locations in FS. The Military Plus Paks for JF's Traffic 2005 (now called Traffic) placed them in FS9. Not sure if Traffic X adds carriers to FSX or not.

John

His linked website gives a pretty good accounting of them Dave, though some are "in transit" along a route. The one at North Island is stationary and is about a mile NE of North Island Naval Air Station - pretty hard to miss.

Does anyone have ICAOs for the stationary ones? The JF ones are BIG1 through BIG8 and are on the airport list once installed. Do any of the stock FSX ones show up as airports?

Graham,

Something's occured to me here after looking at that site. Aircraft Carriers in FS can either be an "airport" or a "vehicle" and are treated quite differently in FS. It's also possible, I suppose, for them to just be a static scenery object.

FS is going to handle each one in a different way as those entities have very different properties and capabilities in FS. I know the JF BIG1 through BIG8 are in fact airports. You can pull them up in the Create A Flight list, can originate a flight at them and can schedule AI traffic to and from them. I've even seen them appear (rarely) in the AirHauler Jobs List.

Obviously, the ones that move are "vehicles" or perhaps even airplanes to FS. That will give them the ability to move as AI, and you may even be able to land and subsequently take off from one of them but you won't be able to originate a flight from one nor will you be able to assign AI to operate from them.

The ones that are static objects will just be a lump, i.e. an aircraft carrier shaped building placed at a particular place in the ocean as eye candy. For those, I don't think you could even land on one - you'd probably just find yourself inside it.

Interesting topic...

John

Hi John.

from what I can see in FSX, in one of the training helicopter missions you have to land on a moving carrier and also I think that there is a couple of F18 missions that include taking off and landing on a carrier that looks like it's moving in the screen shots? .

cheer's...Graham...

For all of these entitities, it would help to know what they are in FS, i.e. airport, aircraft/vehicle or scenery.

If you're close to one, going to the map view in FS will show if it's an airport or not, and what the ICAO is. If it doesn't show on the FS map, it's not an "airport".

By the way, the JF BIG1 through BIG8 look like they are moving, with a wake effect, but they are actually stationary.

John

EDIT: I just looked at the one in San Diego. It does not show up on the FSX Map view so is definitely not an airport entity. Probably just a very complex static scenery object.

JDA

I checked the FSX static ones and they are definitely not defined as airports but do have a "hard deck" so you can land, taxi and take off if your AC performance permits it.

I have Flight Deck 4 but only have it installed in FS9 so will check those out.

John

Its worth noting too that the FSX Acceleration add on pack adds more Aircraft Carrier content than the std FSX patched to SP2, you get the FA/18 Hornet as well that ACES outsourced to model for them that is pretty decent, not DCS hardcore avionic quality (That I suspect will be their next title ) but pretty good, the carrier landings and launches are quite exhilarating.

The Abacus Flight Deck 4 carriers are airports, not just scenery. They have a tower frequency and navaids (including the Fresnel Lens Landing System) and some kind of stand-alone utility that simulates cat shots and traps. I've not used it much, but it works OK. I'm sure FD6 is better.

Their carrier is in four locations and shows up in the aiport list as...

• AC20 USS Ronald Reagan India (Bay of Bengal)
  • AC21 USS Ronald Reagan United States (off San Diego)
  • AC22 USS Ronald Reagan China (South China Sea)
  • AC23 USS Ronald Reagan Greece (Mediterranean Sea)
  • 1 year later...

The Abacus Flight Deck 4 carriers are airports, not just scenery. They have a tower frequency and navaids (including the Fresnel Lens Landing System) and some kind of stand-alone utility that simulates cat shots and traps. I've not used it much, but it works OK. I'm sure FD6 is better.

Their carrier is in four locations and shows up in the aiport list as...

AC20 USS Ronald Reagan India (Bay of Bengal)

AC21 USS Ronald Reagan United States (off San Diego)

AC22 USS Ronald Reagan China (South China Sea)

AC23 USS Ronald Reagan Greece (Mediterranean Sea)

can you use any carrier aircraft with this addon, or are you limited to the aircraft incluses in the package?

I don't know, John. There is some kind of software utility that comes with the Flight Deck Series to simulate traps and cat shots but I don't know if it can be used on other carriers or even at airports. I'm pretty sure it would not work on the "non-airport" style carriers however. Those are just scenery elements or non-flying aircraft so are not seen by FS as airports. The AC must have a tailhook for traps - not sure about a cat shot.

The Flight Deck series is up to at least FD6 now and I only have FD4, so way out of date.

John

• 2 weeks later...