Can't land on ships, allways collide

Ok, I'm no Chuck Yeager in the heli, but I'm doing quite allright. However, there seems to be a problem with my fsx. No matter how smooth my flying is, I allways collide with the ships I try to land on. And it doesn't matter if I fly FSX default helis or add ons like the Aerosoft Seahawk. In the fsx mission with the vertical course followed by a landing on an yacht. And if I place a cutter in Shipyard and try to land on it with my Seahawk, a couple of metres before touch down, I allways collide.

Seems to me that the physics have been altered or something. What can possibly cause this?

Hi ZenlT - could you clarify a little?

1. In Settings\General, have you selected "Detect Crashes and Damage"?

2. When you start your helicopter on the ground, does the model 'jump' before settling down - this may be a problem with the aircraft.cfg contact point values.

3. Is this a default helicopter (R22 or Bell 206B)?

BTW, I have problems with some ships, but not the ones in the FSX Missions.

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

hurricanemk1c: I will try that!

Ddavid:

1. Yes

2. As for the default choppers they start solid on ground. All my addon choppers does that aswell, except for the Aerosoft Seahawk that starts with a little bump, like it's droped from 1dm above ground.

3. As for the mission I described I use the default Robinson. When the mission starts it stands solid on the yacht.

I have the Hovercontol 412 installed with some of their addon sceneries. When I try to start on the ships it crashes as soon as the flight have been loaded. I've tried to start with a default Cessna 172 aswell, but same thing happens!

Thanks for trying to help!

Some more suggestions:

1. Try un-checking "Detect Crashes and Damage" - that may help.

2. The "Helicopters Manouvers II" Mission is Advanced - I've got a feeling that the Mission may over-ride the above ...

3. Are you 100% sure that your flight controls (cyclic and collective) are in the 'neutral' position, otherwise you might inadvertantly move in an uncontrolled way and crash...

Oh, yes, how do you find the 412? And have you tried the Dodo-Sim 206B? (My favorite)

Are landnings on ships more sensitive than normal landnings when it comes to descend speed? I mean, my landings on ground doesn't results in crashes (most of the time at least) so why should they do so when landing on a ship that doesn't move? And if rough landings is the solution, that still doesn't explain why I crash before I even get into the cockpit when starting on a ship.

However, I will certainly give the detect crash setting a try.

And as for the hovercontrol 412, here's the link:

http://www.hovercontrol.com/cgi-bin/ifolio/imageFolio.cgi?direct=AAA_Hovercontrol_Helicopters

I'm not a big fan of how they simulate some of the systems (the generators for example), but it's a thrill to fly!

Well, I'm sorry for have been taking your time. I've done some testings now and as for the default FSX ships there are no problems. I have been able to succesfully land on both the yacht in heli mission 2 and at the aircraft carrier. On the first one I was flying the default Robinson and ond the second one I had the Aerosoft Seahawk.

But, when it comes to the addon ships they doesn't seem to work as they should. I've been able to start at a Hovercontrol addon ship with the Robinson, but not the Hovercontrol 412. The landing however are imposible, leaving me crashing into some invisible things sticking up from the ship. And as for the Aerosoft shipyard addon ship, it's the same story. About 3 metres of the helipad there seem to be some invisible junk that I allways crash into.

That is something I will address to the developers of the addons. So for now on, thank you guys. I'm certain that your experties will be requested as my FSX life goes on :-)

EDIT, the problem have been addressed at the Aerosoft forum and it seems like I'm only an update away from the problem.

• 1 year later...

Hi ZemIT

To land on the aircarrier2 add-on ships you may need to be very carefull and the Rate of Descent about 300ft/min or less

Some of the ships are lower deck and others are upper deck, if you try to land on the wrong deck will crash.

I hope it hepls you out

Happy Landings...

/_o_\

V

/\

I don't know if this will help. May be a complete Herring Rouge. I live on a ship (small one). They tend to go up and down depending on the amount of "sea" that is running. Is there any chance that the developers have actually modeled the ship's deck oscillations?

Helicopter recoveries at sea are usually accompanied by a "winch down" process where a winch cable is lowered from the helo to the deck where it is connected to a hard point and the helo essentially winches itself down. This can present some interesting challenges with respect to static electricity, but that doesn't sound like your problem.

I don't know much about this but I do know that you cannot land on just any scenery and without crash detect disabled you will continue with this problem. To make a landable surface for free flight scenery and for in missions you would need to create a invisible or buried landing surface in the object you wish to land on. FSX have done this to some building heli pads and some ships but most do not have this. You also need to disable or move the crash detection bounding box that surrounds mostly all scenery objects.

Some addon scenery makers do not take the time to do everything required in these settings and I have even had crashes on the runway when opening up the flight at an addon scenery airport, this of course required starting the flight with CD off.

Someone once told me that your FSX scenery settings have something to do with being able to land on a eligible landing area, set to low and it will not work, to high and other close by objects bounding boxes might interfere with the landing area. This I have not tested. Just my 2cents. 

I'm not sure that crash detection in FSX calculates the interaction between your aircraft and the visible components of the scenery objects. Whilst this would be the obvious goal, I can't see the FSX engine actually doing it. In fact,  I've got a feeling that scenery objects have an envelope that relates to the overall limits of the object - i.e. width, height and length as computed from the model's origin. I've noticed that I often crash out of missions when I am nearing, say, a bridge object, but that neither the rotors or structure of the helicopter are anywhere near the scenery.

Although I uncheck crash detection - I know when I've made a poor landing! - as Brett says, at higher difficulty levels of missions, crash detection is turned on automatically, so you can't win...

This problem may vary between aircraft models but the underlying invisible interaction that causes crashes won't go away - b*gg*r it! :thum:

I'm not sure that crash detection in FSX calculates the interaction between your aircraft and the visible components of the scenery objects. Whilst this would be the obvious goal, I can't see the FSX engine actually doing it.

I've seen building crashes in FS any number of times, and I think the on screen message even uses those exact words.  To add to the confusion, the physical extent of FS objects  sometimes seems to be different from their visible manifestation. 

Fire up ADE and FSX and go to an airport and play around.  It is, I think, possible to collide with a building before reaching the visible part of the building.  I haven't actually tested it but I think I will.

John

This may or may not have any bearing on the topic of the thread. It may be that ships, being scenery objects and not runways or the "surface" as used by FSX, may be quite a different matter from landing on ramps, helipads, or even off-airport ground locations. I leave it to you to decide if this has any applicability to what's being discussed or not.

I ran some experiments with building crashes, which may or may not be the same as landing crashes, which in turn may or may not be the same as landing crashes on ships or other scenery objects. Your mileage may vary.

The composite image below shows a sequence of three trials as I moved the default C-172 toward a stock FSX building (pale blue in the ADE images). I made a series of trials, moving the AC toward the large building at the bottom of the images in small increments from within FSX. At about 5' increments I'd stop the AC, take an ADE screenshot and a top-down FSX screenshot, dropping the latter into the former. Each image pane shows a particular aircraft location from FSX and ADE. I deleted most of the intermediate ones, leaving only the starting position of the testing and the last two test points.

In each pane I got an ADE measurement of the distance from the AC "location" as defined by the center point of the aircraft icon in ADE measured to the edge of the building, as shown in ADE. You'll note in the second and third image panes that there seems to be something not quite kosher. The AC location in ADE shows about 4' outside of and 4' inside the building wall in ADE, however in the corresponding FSX images, no part of the aircraft is nearly that close to the building wall. For reference, the C-172 specs are - Length = 27' 2"; Wingspan = 36' 1".

Continuing from that point, I was able to taxi the AC deep into the building before I got the inevitable building crash.

Preceding that, I was able to taxi completely through the "Library Object" building that shows behind the AC in these images, without suffering a building crash.

y4mK5qwKOK2hQEYkEJi1MvU5SFx_fbZhc5nmD3H2

CONCLUSIONS:

1) Building crashes do in fact occur in FSX

2) The point at which a building crash will be initiated by FSX is not obvious from what you see in the FSX views.

CONJECTURE:

It may be that Library Objects are exempt from FSX collision detection. I didn't do enough testing to say with any certainty.

Timing may be an issue. I'm getting the sense that FSX may only "sample" for a collision at fairly long intervals, possibly as much as several seconds apart. If that's the case, relative positions of AC and the interfering scenery object may appear to be erratic, depending on how far into the scenery object the AC has traveled before the next collision sampling occurs.

ADVICE:

Give objects of all kinds a wide berth in FSX if you have crash detection turned on.

John

EDIT: Photobucket or the forum reduced my images to the point where some are not readable. In the first three panes, the distances are 69.6 feet outside, 4.9' outside and 4.2' inside the edge of the building outline. In the last pane, the green band just below the top-line menu bar says, "BUILDING CRASH".

JDA

Like I said, John, it's more to do with the object's 'invisible' envelope (generated when the object was originally built in gmax or 3DSMax) than the visible manifestation of said object.

That's why I leave crash detection OFF! :thum:

it's more to do with the object's 'invisible' envelope (generated when the object was originally built in gmax or 3DSMax) than the visible manifestation of said object.

I think that may be spot on, Dai.

John