This look's interesting, anyone tried this one out yet?

http://fswidgets.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=48

Below is a snippet from the FSWidgets website.

AirView technology provides the pilot with detailed awareness and environmental information, including industry first 3D Terrain Visualization with Dynamic Elevation Color Coding (DECC). Coupled with sophisticated 2D and Profile elevation contour display technologies, AirView literally allows the pilot to see in the dark.

Modelled on real world avionics and leveraging capability from directly within FSX, AirView graphically presents airport detail, runway and taxiway detail, frequency data, and live flightplan overlay. Combined with these critical pilot cues, situational awareness is further enhanced with aerodrome charting, tracking information and display of navigation data including airways, fixes and beacons.

Cheer's...Graham...

I followed the link to FSWidgets and soon figured out that AirView was FSX only. Since I'm primarily a FS9 user I lost interest in that right away but stayed and poked around their site.

I found that their ECV (Electronic Chart Viewer - for FS9 only) looked good to me and downloade it. After playing with the demo for about an hour I paid my money and registered it. That's a very interesting app and particularly lets you easily "geo-reference" most any image file that can be made into a bmp if you can ID six or more points that you can provide latitude and longitude for. I've done several US sectionals, an approach plate and one of my airport diagrms, all successfully.

ECV will connect to FS and will privide a moving map display on whatever document you load, along with other features like putting color coded (for altitude relative to yours) dots for AI traffic, FS flight plan course line and waypoints, and a user-definable layer for landmarks if you wish to add them.

I like the idea of being able to display a RW sectional or enroute chart while flying instead of the GPS or a Google Earth view or something like that. The ability to geo reference approach charts and airport diagrams is attractive too.

The geo-referencing process is pretty quick and easy - about five to ten minutes for a small one and less than a half hour for a sectional (one side). The geo-referencing process only needs to be done once time for an image file and a small XML file is created to save the indexing data.

Pretty neat. This is the kind of FS add-on I'm drawn to. I consider it well worth the $20.

I did go to their support forum with a question which was quickly and satisfactorily answered by the developer.

John