I followed the instructions found here...

http://mutleyshangar.com/features/jda/wp.htm

It worked good for one waypoint and I found it in the flight planning screen. I tried to add multiple waypoints to the same file and I overwrote it as instructed but the new waypoints are not there. It says to have fs data on a separate line at the end of the string. I did that and no luck. I then tried it at the end of the string on the same line and it still didn't work. If I read it right for additional waypoints I just copy the information between <waypoint> <waypoint> and hit enter to move the cursor to the next line and have the fsdata on the last line?

Below is an example of the XML code for adding four waypoints. I suspect your issue is not your XML code, which sounds right, but is file handling, file naming or file placement. If the compiler runs to completion and does not generate an error message your XML code is probably not the problem.

The compiler will generate a bgl file with the same name as your XML file. If you use the same file name for a new batch of waypoints and don't include the older ones in that XML file, the new bgl will overwrite the older one when you copy it to FS and the earlier waypoints will be lost to the sim.

Of course after the bgl is compiled it must placed in the proper place in FS. BGL files must be in a folder named "scenery". The typical location for user generated ones is...

C:\ -> Program Files -> Microsoft Games -> Flight Simulator 9 -> Addon Scenery -> Scenery

...or in FSX...

C:\ -> Program Files -> Microsoft Games -> Microsoft Flight Simulator X -> Addon Scenery -> scenery

It's prudent to do a "MOVE" rather than a "COPY" of the bgl to FS so there's no old copy of the bgl lurking in your working folder to cause confusion. If you have the XML file, you can regenerate the bgl at will and there's no need to keep that.

Sometimes the only way to really know that the compiler ran successfully is when the new bgl appears in your working folder. If you're using the the same XML file name and the old bgl is still there, it's hard to tell if you're looking at a newly generated bgl or the old one. File size and time stamp may tell you that, but it's best to just get rid of the bgl before running another compile. That makes it easy to spot the new one when it appears.

In my case, I just use one large XML file and append the code for new waypoints at the bottom. It's cumulative, so that one file always contains all of my added waypoints. When it compiles and I move the bgl to FS, that overwrites the older version with a slightly larger new bgl that contains all the old waypoints plus my newly added ones.

Note too that you must use the correct version of BGLComp.exe to compile your XML code. It must be for the verison of the sim you are using. There's only one for FS9 but I believe there are at least two versions for FSX depending on which Service Pack you have installed and whether you have Acceleration. I'm not up to speed on the details for FSX but I do know that if the compiler doesn't match your version, you will have problems.

I'm speculating a little here on what the problem might be. Let us know how this is going and we'll help all we can if more is needed.

John

Code Example for adding multiple waypoints...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>

<FSData version="9.0" xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance' xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="bglcomp.xsd" >

<Waypoint

lat="33.15222222"

lon="-117.48111111"

waypointType="NAMED"

magvar="-13.0"

waypointRegion="K2"

waypointIdent="BAYVU">

</Waypoint>

<Waypoint

lat="32.93638889"

lon="-117.29055556"

waypointType="NAMED"

magvar="-13.0"

waypointRegion="K2"

waypointIdent="TINKM">

</Waypoint>

<Waypoint

lat="32.83166667"

lon="-117.19805556"

waypointType="NAMED"

magvar="-13.0"

waypointRegion="K2"

waypointIdent="MADIE">

</Waypoint>

<Waypoint

lat="32.78333333"

lon="-116.98638889"

waypointType="NAMED"

magvar="-13.0"

waypointRegion="K2"

waypointIdent="RESTT">

</Waypoint>

</FSData>

I think you may be on to something here. I may have installed the wrong fsx sdk. I have two versions of fsx: fsx deluxe and fsx gold. I never installed the sdk when I originally installed fsx so I loaded the disk and browsed to the exe file. I didn't notice until after I installed it that I had grabbed the deluxe box instead of the gold box which is the version of fsx that I am using. Not sure if the sdk is the same for both of them. If the sdk is the same then I must be doing something wrong with installing the file to the scenery folder. I will look at your suggestions and work on it some more. Also I did notice that when I copy the information and paste it into the notepad it doesn't lay out like you have in your reply. It strings it out all in a row so I may be getting confused as to where to put the last fsdata entry.

Thanks for the help.

I tried everything and I can not get more than one waypoint to show up. I was able to do it with a different file for every waypoint but I cannot get it to work in one file with a string of waypoints. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? I can post a copy of the file if that will help.