Anyone up for a challenge repaint?

Here in New Zealand, we have a Thunder Mustang, the only one in the Southern Hemisphere, and there are only 14 in the world.

I would love to have the textures on my P51D Mustang, so that I can share it with all the Thunder Mustang lovers here in NZ (and there are thousands) and we can have great online flights.

Would anyone be prepared to try and do this for me? I'm stupid when it comes to repaints - I've tried it and given it up. :th_blush:

Please contact me (garret.horwitz "at" xtra.co.nz), and I will send you many photos through your e-mail, to show what is needed.

Thank you, thank you. :)

Welcome to the Hangar, Garret - and Good Luck with the screenshot comp, some nice entries, so far! :thum:

I'm sure that one of the repaint gurus will be able to help. In the meantime, why not put up a couple of photo's of your Mustang, to whet our appetite, as it were...

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

P.S. Hope you don't mind, but I edited your email to inhibit address harvesting...

gallery_3049_74_9943.jpg

This is our beautiful Thunder Mustang. It is a 7/8 full size P51, but has a full size V12 Allison engine, with a 4 blade variable pitch prop. This makes it the fastest prop plane in the Southern Hemisphere, and they are talking of supercharging it !! Whew.

It's freeware, and they have given permission to use and share, as long as they are acknowledged for the original work. I hope that is ok, it seems fine to me.

Is there any other way that it can be done? Such as finding a blank/white Mustang to use? I'm not sure about these things.

> Dai: The P51D - the same one that jankees uses ( I think) - it looks like the same one. Although I don't mind which one is used because none of them are exactly like the Thunder, they will be close enough. The Thunder has slightly cropped edges on the wings, the canopy is slightly different to the proper P51 etc.

Hell, I will be so grateful just to have those textures on a Mustang, to have fun with it, and replicate his routine at our airshows.

There are a few videos of "Tiger's Blood" Thunder Mustang on You Tube - you will hear her awesome sound on them too. :D

O.K. - the $64,000 question - which P51 (i.e. from which download site and which specific model) are you using? As Jan will tell you, each model uses different texture formats such that they are not interchangeable!

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

My paintshed is a bit full at the moment, but if you still need to buy the model, you have the choice of (at this moment) 6 payware P-51 packages:

Warbirdsim has 4 different packages: Restored 1 & 2, Little Friends 1& 2. I have done paints for all, except restored 2. I only have a paintkit for the Little Friends packages.

Then there is the old A2A WWII fighters P-51D, lots of repaints for it, but it is getting a bit old. Cheaper than the WBS models though.

Finally, there is the P-51D by Flight1, which I do not like at all. I don't think anybody ever did a repaint for that one, so I'd avoid that one if I were you.

I believe that's all of them at the moment.

Of course, if you're not in a hurry, you can wait for A2A to finish their all new accusim Mustang...

Thanks for all your interest and input guys.

I must admit, I have never bought planes, nor do I think I ever will. There are so many hundreds, if not thousands of free planes available on the net, and many of the highest quality, that I see no need to buy any.

I do buy things like scenery, video, upgrades and things like that.

So, if you are ok with it, I will surf all the sim sites, and find a good P51 that is free, and allows us to add textures to it, and see if you can use that one. The P51D that I use is freeware, and it is awesome in it's detail, handling, speed and fun value. I will look in it and see if it has a blank texture to work with.

I hope that will be ok with you.

Thanks again for your input and help. Regards.

Here is the link to my Dropbox for the P51D that I fly with. It's a real beauty, and anyone who wants to use it, please feel free to download it and enjoy. Regards.

Whoever is going to do the textures for me - A BIG thank you. :thum:

http://dl.dropbox.co...D%20Mustang.zip

And these are the photos of this beautiful plane:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15533791/Thunder%20Mustang.zip