I've made a couple of short videos to date but always recording live footage with FRAPS, which has it's down sides, namely trying to stay in the air and also it can hit frames over certain scenery.

I have FS Recorder installed and have recorded a couple of flights recently but when I've gone to play them back the quality is very poor and looks nothing like the images as seen in FSX. Have I done something wrong in the set-up? I haven't adjusted any of the default settings since I installed it.

I'd be grateful if anyone can shed some light on the quirks of FS Recorder?

I use FRAPS, it is a frame eater though but it does record sound as well, you could try switching that off to make it work better.

I tried the FS Recorder version once but if I remember rightly it doesn't record sound.

Hopefully someone has some useful advice :)

I use FSRecorder for recording the flight (typically an approach and landing), then replay sections and use FRAPS for the 'rushes', then Movie Maker to edit the video, add music, so forth.

O.K., the FSRecorder 'playback' can be a little 'jumpy' sometimes, but overall, this gives you the most flexibility in choosing angles, etc.

Lastly, Sam is perfectly right in suggesting that FSRecorder's "render video" function is excellent - only I haven't mastered it yet!!

Watch out for a new Lanc MkI vid coming soon... (You have been warned! - Ed).

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

Hi Graeme,

When you say the quality is poor, do you mean in fsx the qualitys poor, or do you mean the video you have recorded is poor quality?

If the videos poor quality, did you use the "render video" function when recording it?

Sam. :)

I mean the quality of the footage within FSX when you play it back prior to recording with FRAPS is really poor and looks nothing like the view within FSX when the flight took place. Missing ground textures amongst other things.

I think I understand :P ,

FS Recorder only remembers the positiion of the plane in the FSX world, and it does not remember things like weather and time of day/scenery etc.

I would recommend the following,

Start up your flight, but before you start recording your flight save the free flight, then carry on doing your flight recording as normal, then when you come back to replaying it at a later date, open your saved flight file then open the flight recording file, then hopefully it should all work beautifully, give it a go and see if it makes any difference!

Hope this helps,

Sam. :)