From The Grauniad EyeWitness this week:

A-Douglas-DC-3-given-a-ma-003.jpg

A Douglas DC-3 is one of a number of old warplanes to have been given a makeover by graffiti artists as part of the Boneyard project at the Pima Air and Space Museum

You can see the original article here: http://www.guardian....e?CMP=twt_ipd#_

and the free EyeWitness app can be found in the app store, or see http://www.guardian....ipad/eyewitness

Yeah, I forgot about those - rougly 50 of 16,000 were converted to AC-47s.

Let the grafitti artists paint on buildings or boxcars, as they habitually do, or God forbid, on canvas or something conventional. Oh, I forgot - "artists" pride themselves on being "unconventional".

If the owners of the hulk allowed it, the defacers had a perfect right to do it, but in terms of taste I don't care for it. Just one man's opinion... Yours may differ.

John

I actually do kind of like it, wouldn't mind as a repaint for the JF model ;)

And if it can bring the beauty of aviation into the minds of an audience that might not take to it otherwise, then why not. As long as the owner has given it a green light before the painting started.

So I suppose there would be mixed feeling about this one too...

1489912.jpg

I'm not afraid to admit that i had a Maccy D's* so that i could go and have a nose...and she is rather nice inide. Theres also a full history of this bird in there.

I think i am in the 'like' came with the graffiti one though....if its only going to be scrapped otherwise.....

* Much as this is hard to believe, Macdonalds is much better in NZ. Partly becuse they have 'McCafe' bolted on, which is no different to Costa or Starbucks. And you can have Bacon and/or avacado with anything.

i rather like the first pic it is far better an expression of art than turn it into coke cans, as for the macdo's one, well they have found a way of turning perfectly good food , such as minced beef, bread and veg into something only suitable for the trash can one day the yanks will stop stuffing themselves with crap and discover proper food , and hello if you eat proper food you dont wobble around grossly overweight.

i had a friend in the uk that put the fuselage of a dc3 into a pond over which his restaurant looked, he put the engines in glass cases in the resto, and the cockpit as well the resto was called dakotas, after 1 year in business (very succesful) he was approached by the mafia and offered a price he could not refuse (about twice what it cost to set up) so he sold up. a few months later the local council asked the owners to remove the fuselage as they had received many reports of an a/c accident, what a load of b----ks just a load of nimbys who had bought the land adjacent to the pond (also sold by my friend)

sorry joe!

Let the grafitti artists paint on buildings or boxcars, as they habitually do, or God forbid, on canvas or something conventional. Oh, I forgot - "artists" pride themselves on being "unconventional".

Noo - not on trains!!

The second one looks OK - at least everything is there and you can see where the cockpit windows are

Not sure about there, Kieran, but here it's a rare boxcar that hasn't been "tagged" by the vandals. They're not small things either - typically the painted area is 10 or 12 feet long and as high as they can reach. Just more delinquents wasting their time damaging other people's property, probably with stolen paint.

John

That first aicraft looks hideous ! the second one looks as though it could still fly so why use it advertise ratburgers ! This is not a new thing though. Many years ago an artist called Calder was given the job of doing multicoloured "art" on some of Branniffs DC8s, Looking at it now though it was not unlike Quantas's Wanula Dreaming scheme applied to some of their aircraft. Who can say they really liked BAs World tail series from a few years ago, I personally thought they were hideous, Thankfully the "Portsmouth" scheme is the only one that survives from that travesty. Aircraft have been used to advertise attractions and restaurants for many years though and can be found worldwide, some aircraft have even become restaurants themselves of course. Probably the most well known one in this country was the old Dan Air Comet at Blackbushe. Some alternative schemes look really good and equally others are abysmal. If they really want to do a good graffiti job I think they should have hired Banksy!!