I am currently loading a new PC with FSX & FS2004 software collected over the years and came across various planetariums including Meade astronomy s/w stored away amongst my collection of CD'S/DVD'S. None of these seem to want to work with Win7-64.

Coincidentally, this week, I came across a free planetarium called Stellarium which provides most of the usual functions found in previous types I've used plus the ability to zoom into various objects showing planetary detail and also surface detail of Martian/Jovian moons, etc.

It can be downloaded on www.stellarium.org - about 51MB and occupies approx' 79MB disk space.

Ray.

Stellarium is great and more powerful than it looks on first look, and its free, used to use Starry Night that got very bloated over the versions, but this is all I need, excellent software.

:thum:

Stellarium is great and more powerful than it looks on first look, and its free, used to use Starry Night that got very bloated over the versions, but this is all I need, excellent software.

:thum:

agreed, - i've been using Stellarium for over 6 months now in it's current guise and love it :wub: It's so useful when planning my evenings stargazing sessionz, and when on my laptop with a red-acetate sheet for night vision to help me identify nebulae and such when i'm out 'in the field'.

I,ve got it now as well, it's really good. The only dowside is the viewpoint seems to be set near Paris and i've yet to work out if it can be moved to a UK location.

Alan, go to the bottom left side of the screen and click the 'settings and location configuration' icon. Then, using the list on the left, find your closest town/city and click the 'set as default' box in the bottom left corner and apply settings et voila!