MEBAR 046 - LEG 3 - The Rainy one

What do you get if you mix plenty of high terrain with low clouds and plenty of rain.. well MEBAR 2012 - Leg 3 comes pretty close.

Early morning in Fife, rain isn't too bad yet but the weather sure doesn't look good

001-departing-fife.jpg

With the sun still not quite up it gives a nice little shine below the clouds as we climb up towards the ceiling

002-climbing-into-the-rain.jpg

Passing St Andrews

003-st-andrews.jpg

EGQL - Leuchars AB of my left wing

004-egql-leuchars-ab.jpg

Pushing on towards Aberdeen

005-enrute.jpg

First stop coming up, but we're coming in from the wrong side.

006-aberdeen-in-sight.jpg

Right downwind, soon time to fill the hold with supplies.

007-right-downwind.jpg

Plenty of other planes hanging around the GA Ramp at Aberdeen

008-plenty-of-traffic.jpg

And for some strange reason all the shots from Aberdeen to Pluckton are missing (forgot to restart FRAPS :fool: ), but what did I expect cosidering I managed to photograph conclusive evidence that proves not only that Nessie exists, but also pilots a pimped up PBY Catalina with submersible capability......

So, the next shot finds us at Pluckton after unloading about 1500 lbs of supplies

009-parked-at-plockton.jpg

Let's head south again

010-next-stop-isle-of-man.jpg

First part of this leg will be following the GOW VOR at 5.000 feet. So, in to the grey stuff, and keep all eyes on those instruments.

011-low-clouds-high-peaks-bad-combo.jpg

Are you sure your navigation skills are up to par? Both the weather and the terrain could just as easily be in the PNW area

012-could-almost-be-pnw.jpg

A landmark peaks through the clouds. River Fillan just north of Crinalarich.

013-river-fillan-close-to-crianlarich.jpg

Getting fed up with all the rain and low cloud cover by now...

014-still-low-clouds.jpg

Next land mark, Loch Lomond, finally comes into view.

015-loch-lomond-still-on-track-for-the-glasgow-vor.jpg

Almost at Glasgow, and time for a turn to the 186 OB radial of the GOW VOR, that should take us straight to Baldoon and the Touch and go.

And by now most of the high peaks are behind us, so prehaps it's time to take us down a bit lower for the rest of the trip.

016-glasgow-airport-in-sight.jpg

Plenty of traffic on the Ramp in Glasgow

017-plenty-of-traffic-at-glasgow.jpg

Didn't you say the hills where behind us??? Well, before we can start down towards Baldoon we need to pass over the Galloway Forest Park...

018-more-hills-galloway-forest-park.jpg

Now, after careful examination of the maps I found Creetown and a small cape along the eastern banks, just south of the village, was a good landmark for turning us onto runway 24 at Baldoon

019-using-creetown-and-that-small-cape-for-guidence.jpg

And there it was, just south of the River Bladnoch, but who is it that keeps planting all those trees right on the approach path to smaller airfields??

020-t-and-g-at-uk09.jpg

Wheels on the ground, full throttle and of we go.....

021-wheels-touching-apply-throttle-again.jpg

Climbing back to about 3.500 feet for the crossing over the Irish Sea

022-climb-out-and-heading-for-isle-of-man.jpg

Leaving mainland UK behind for a while

023-leaving-the-mainland-behind.jpg

In a slow plane like the Islander passing large bodies of water does tend to get a bit boring.....

024-lots-and-lots-of-water.jpg

Almost over Isle of Man again. Landfall somewhere around Jurby. By now I was tracking the CAR ADF due south

025-landfall-again-around-jurby.jpg

ADF 1 Tuned to CAR, ADF 2 tuned to RWY and NAV 1 tuned to the ILS for runway 26.. no way I can get lost now, and I better not considering the fuel situation

026-all-navaids-i-can-handle-tuned.jpg

Laxey of my left wing.

027-laxey.jpg

and Douglas Harbour was soon straight ahead.

028-douglas-harbour.jpg

And from there I was soon on final, a bit high prehaps, but it's a long runway and I think I'm a tad early...

029-on-final.jpg

Turning of the active...

030-turning-of-the-active.jpg

...and parked up on the ramp with about 5 us gallons left in each tank :scare:

031-parked-up.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the shots..

Time to go plan the next leg, and hope for better weather...

Brilliant Micke,

I just love to see other pilots experiences of the same flight in the same conditions that I flew.

Looks better in your shots than in mine!

Cheers,

Joe

Thanks Joe.

It is indeed a nice experience to see what others do in the same situation as yourself, to bad there isn't more screenshots posted, but I guess that's just the way it is....

But I am a bit tempted to get some proper scenery for the UK.. even if UTX is a big improvement over stock FSX it gets a bit boring and repetitive... I'm guessing I'll just wait until ORBX release their scenery since I'm not really big on photo-real stuff....

Thanks Kieran.

Heading over to your neck of the woods next ;)

Just need to remember refueling the plane to avoid ditching on the way over the irish sea.....

Thanks Dai...

was tempted to include a pass over Islay too, just to try and include my square foot of land I have at Laphoraig, but it was a bit to far of course ;)

Next year we need to do a stop there to sample the local produce ;)