RAF units prepare to take part in Europe’s largest military exercise.

The 10-day event will see aircraft from the US, Germany, Holland, France, Norway, Denmark and Canada being hosted at RAF stations for a UK wide tri-service exercise.

They will take part with sea and land-based units in a series of scenarios including counter insurgency operations, responses to incidents of state sponsored terrorism, and anti-drugs and piracy missions as well as state on state conflict situations.

821CF332_5056_A318_A8F85D43E06E1A0D.jpg

The exercise has been planned primarily by RAF and Naval personnel from the Joint Tactical Exercise Planning Staff (JTEPS) based at Northwood HQ, London.

More

here

Simon was due to do a stint at Bagram Air Base soon, he maybe there now.

Did you hear the news about a sonic boom heard over several counties yesterday? The RAF said it was a Typhoon responding to a distress call from a helicopter! What was he going to do? Shoot it down? Sounds a likely story :P

er, guys.....i'm still here in the UK? Got back from the Falkands WAY back in December 2010, would hate to have been there for that long!

Not due to go out to Bastion until October at the earliest...most likely January next year. As for Ex Joint Warrior, the VC10's are working flat out to keep up, the C-17s i'm working with on the other hand are busy elsewhere, and preparing to accept our 8th aircraft into service arriving June/July....

Hi Simi

Nice to hear from you ;)

Hi Joe,

my apologies for not be the prolific member I once was. I'm still here and, although i don't post as often as i used to, i do watch over every new thread every now and then.... think of mer as being omni-present, i'm here but you won't see me unless i break cover briefly!! ninja.gif

when i first saw this story i thought there was more to it than they were letting on, up to about 15 years ago the standard squawk for a vfr a/c was 1234 nice and simple but noooo the Cancel All Aviation people in their infinite wisdom said it must be brought into line with other squawks so they made it 7000. (the rest of Europe is 7001) Brilliant !! so what happens when a vfr a/c fitted with kKng turn the knob radios , it is very easy when turning the LH knob to turn both the inner and the outer at the same time, result? 7700 = mayday , discover your mistake , turn the knob and immediatly it flashes up 7600 on the radar (non radio) and you continue past 7500 (hijack)

and then theoretically the ballon goes up. However this has happened inumerable times over the last 15 years (they were warned) so now , even in times of high security nothing is done. modern radars are computer controlled so they look at your height (attached to your sqawk code) so anything below 3000 feet does not paint on the radar sites and clutter up the visuals (and 90% of vfr a/c stay below 3000ft), which are being used to control airliners.