• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Right we'll just get this one bedded in and then I want to put a row of English Electric Lightnings in the bed over there against the wall. They will look lovely when they bloom in the spring"

"I don't care if it IS you Harry, Get up for your Grandmother!"

Thanks Eddie, ok have a go with this one..

Posted Images

I have travelled on a train as packed as this in southern India, back in 1981. 

Indian trains have three classes.  First class, second class and second class unreserved. The first two are obvious, you have to reserve a seat to travel in them. However second class unreserved is a nightmare. When you book a second class ticket and all the seats are taken they still sell you a ticket but tell you are on a waiting list. When the train pulls in you check the reservations posted by the door of each carriage and if your name isn't there then your place in the waiting list didn't make it to the top. So you have to travel second class unreserved.  This should be just the last two carriages in the train but if these are full then you have to travel where you can except in the reserved first and second class. some people choose to ride on the roof along with their baggage.

My wife and I were lucky as we boarded the train at its starting station and had arrived early so we got seats next to each other.  By the time we started to move there were twenty five people in our compartment which was designed to take eight seated people. There were people under the seats, sitting on the luggage racks, on each others laps (not ours) as well as the standing folks as well.

Our journey was from Thiruvananthapuram to Chennia, and took 36 hours. We were regarded as an anomaly as English tourists just didn't travel second class unreserved. Half of the people stared at us for the whole trip. I didn't sleep a wink for the whole journey and I couldn't even nip to the gents the whole time.

So: Only second class unreserved tickets available sir! 

Edited by J G
  • Like 1
On 8/26/2017 at 14:31, brett said:

Santaco Airlines is proud to announce no fatalities in four days, a big thanks to our countermen-fuelers-baggagemen-pilots, Chico and Paco   

Santaco certainly looks like a La Familia run business... Their motto: "Seguridad en los Primero Martes" (Safety First Tuesdays).

Take it away Brett.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

You all came through and came up with some real funny captions, well done guys.:thum:

I'm going to have to throw it back Matt's way for "The breed? A Left Pointer.", simple and to the point(Get it?). :D Over to you Matt.......

3 hours ago, brett said:

You all came through and came up with some real funny captions, well done guys.:thum:

I'm going to have to throw it back Matt's way for "The breed? A Left Pointer.", simple and to the point(Get it?). :D Over to you Matt.......

Thanks Brett. I'll get back with an image Soon(TM) as I notice FSsnaps is still down.