Plan-G on iPad connected to FSX

Downloaded and installed Splashtop XDisplay (2.99 GBP) on the iPad (Thanks, Tim!) and connected to W7 PC via Splashtop Streamer (free). Works very well - a bit stuttery, but there are 3 other PC's connected to our (family) hub. Here's a photo of the iPod with Plan-G displayed on it, with the main monitor behind showing FSX:

iPad_Plan-G.jpg

I've also undocked the New View from FSX and moved this onto the iPad - seems fine. I'm working towards an iPad display of the basic instruments leaving the FSX VC or external view on the main monitor. I'll report progress...

I think I've arrived in the 21st Century... :thum:

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

P.S. You'll find the Splashtop stuff here

Is your FSX in windowed mode? Honest, the app worked first time for me - which is amazing!! :thum:

I'll check again when I'm by the PC - currently, I'm taking tea on the verandah, you know... :whis:

Thanks Dai,

I will have a look tomorrow. I was running FSX windowed but my iPad will only display what was the active screen on my PC.

Knowing me, I have over-looked some thing simple.

Cheers

Oh well, I tried all the different options suggested on their help page and none of them work.

On their advice, I have requested a refund from iTunes, no wonder they don't offer a demo version!

• 3 weeks later...

V2 is sooo good - if it ain't broke, don't fix it! :thum:

Cheers -- Dai. :cool:

Is that a resignation from the beta team? Or an offer to pay the $10K/year licence fee to google?

O.K. Tim - finally bit the bullet with G3 Build 42 - here's the result:

Plan_G_iPad_05Jul12.jpg

Managed to find Wolf Rock, after a bit of a detour south-east, now I have to make a Waypoint for it...

O.K. - Wolf Rock waypoint set up, flight plan edited and finished flight at St Just:

Plan_G_iPad_05Jul12_02.jpg

Thanks Tim - looking good! :thum:

• 3 years later...

Splashtop X Display was the app Dai used, although it looks as though I never managed to get it to work.

I now use Plan-G on a windows laptop and it works fine. 

Likewise, I tried and failed with Splashtop. It must work but for some reason it never happened for me. Am I fick or wot?

I use Plan-G on my second PC networked.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dai,

I like the look of this so I have downloaded Splashtop on my iPad and the streamer on my main PC and all is fine apart from I can only get what is showing on my main monitor to show on the iPad.

I can see Joe asked the same question and you replied saying "is your FSX in windowed mode" & "the default position for the iPad monitor is to the left not to the right"

I do not understand the above comments so could you explain what "windowed mode" is and where do I find the option to change the default position for the iPad monitor? 

Thanks in advance

Mike

Hi Mike,

I still don't understand it, I haven't seen Dai around for ages so I doubt whether you will get an answer anytime soon.

I am guessing Dai was referring to your screen layout in Windows, whether your second screen shows to the left or right of your main Windows screen.

Hopefully someone can enlighten us  :)

Thanks Joe,

He has dangled the carrot now vanished and left us all hanging. :)

I have opened a ticket with Splashtop's help desk so if I get a reply that makes sense and solves the problem I will put the answer up here.

Mike  

Well I had a reply back from Splashtop following the ticket I opened and it said:

"If you want to view your iPad as an extended display to your target computer you need Splashtop Extended Wireless Display"

So off to the App store I went and to my surprise this app is free!!!

I downloaded it and was faced with a message saying I get 12 minutes of free time before I have to upgrade, however I still couldn't get it to work, I was getting a message saying I needed Window's 7 (which I have) and my 12 minutes was due to expire and I would need to upgrade soon!!

At this point I gave up  :(

Mike   

Then if your Ipad screen is considered as extended desktop through the app, the left and right make sense. In extended mode, you exit mouse from n°1 to n°2 through the right side and from n°2 to n°1 through the left side. So it depends which one is declared as n°1

But since it doesn't seem to work, it won't help you much...  :(

• 3 weeks later...