Interesting - there's no info given about the resolution of the display but what's shown looks more like a piece of a sectional chart than a typical MSFS GPS display. It's not quite clear to me what's going on there.

John

EDIT: I missed this part - not really a display at all...

Additional Faceplate Graphics also available for Downloading and printing by you on Adhesive Backed Paper (Avery 48165 or Equivalent). Or deisgn your own and upload to our website for others to enjoy!

So it's just a hardware control panel for the GPS that has no display.

I thought this sounded too good to be true for the price...

JDA

Hey John,

You pipped me at the post.

I had to read through the advert a couple of times to convince myself that there was no lcd screen included.

So you are buying a neat panel with switches on it.

The price is what gave it away but as I say, it does look like a neat panel. Perhaps there would be scope to cut the graphic section out and install an lcd screen.

Cheers

Brian :thum:

i was thinking the same no display panel..... but what if i get a 7 inch monitor and put the display in front of it?? my question is how can i get the gps from FSMX to be displayed on that monitor??? any sugestions

cheers

If you put FSX in Windowed mode and open the GPS pop-up, you can undock it and drag it to a second monitor, e.g. the little one you propose. The difficulty, however, is that the buttons in the FSX image of the GPS will still show, giving you a double frame of buttons - their physical ones and the FSX virtual ones surrounding the display. You might be able to use the new panel as a kind of "mask" over the image of the GPS on a small panel, but I'm guessing it might be kind of fiddly to set up each time.

An undocked popup is going to have the Windows title bar and frame around it too. I'd guess that a display large enough to show what you need in the center portion is going to have to be so physically large that it will probably interfere with their physical buttons, components and wiring on the back side of their panel.

It's probably doable, but looks to me like a can of worms.

John

Hi Diverone,

I have actually done this.

If you check out my cockpit build you will see pictures of it.

I made my own GPS panel doing roughly what is shown on the panel from DA the difference with mine is that I then got an LCD screen approx 6" diagonal size and fixed it to the rear of my panel then the buttons were wired to the Leo Bodnar USB Joystick Card http://www.leobodnar...oducts/BU0836X/

Using this you can then set the buttons to do what the FSX GPS panel does by using the offsets in FSX Buttons config.

You then have to do what John says above. Use FSX in windowed mode and undock the GPS panel and drag it to your newly installed LCD screen.

It is a chore but once it's made, you won't regret it.

Please check out my photo here http://i489.photobuc...ld/IMG_0136.jpg

Hope this answers some of your queries.

If you would like more info on how I built my GPS Panel, I am at the moment in the middle of doing a small diagram and description on it, so once I've finished I will be posting it in 'My Cockpit Build' thread.

Thanks for your interest. Beware building cockpits tends to grow beyond what you ever envisaged.

But it's fun along the way. :thum:

EDIT: Just thought, if you do decide to buy the panel from Desktopaviator, you won't need a 7" screen. The actual panel is 7" I believe so you would have to wait until you get the panel, then measure what space you have behind it to fit between the buttons.

Good Luck

Borrow mine... :thum:

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

Mmmmmm! Methinking.

Borrow or Rent???

Don't offer what you're not prepared to give up...............forever! :woot:

Cheers Dai.

I'll expect and be watching for it in the post :cloudnine:

O.K. - here's what I did:

1. Download and install Splashtop Streamer to your PC - link here

2. Install Splashtop XDisplay onto your iPad (payware) - link here

3. Follow the instructions (on the packet) to get 'Streamer' talking to your iPad via XDisplay. The iPad should have your desktop wallpaper on it like this:

C172_G-1000_iPad_01.jpg

4. Fire up FSX in windowed mode and get into VC or 2-D Panel. I'm using the C172 with G-1000 in the panels.

5. Select the pop-up G1000 from Views>Instrument Panel>MFD. Right click inside the pop-up and select 'Undock Window'.

6. Move the pop-up G-1000 to your iPad with the mouse. Here's a 'half way' screenshot:

C172_G-1000_iPad_02.jpg

You can enlarge the pop-up to match the iPad's display area using the mouse (drag the borders).

Like I said - just like that...

Did you try moving your pop-up to the LEFT, Joe - I think that's the default direction (you can change it up/right/down in the set up)

Seems to work for me - age does have some advantages, then! :thum:

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

I think for the cockpit builder crowd, they prefer to push physical buttons and twist physical knobs instead of clicking on a screen.

John

You've hit the button/switch, right on the nail there John :D:thum:

@Dai, I have it working now after re-downloading the app, now working as expected.

Hi Diverone,

Sorry for hijacking your post, looking forward to see what you eventually end up with :thum:

• 10 months later...