what's the best setup with an SSD and disc HD

I have borrowed a 64GB SSD off a friend and I am wondering what have been the best setups people have had?

Do I put FSX on the SSD or do I put just the OS?

Do I put both on SSD but stick my scenery on other disc?

Cheers

Jim

Jim. Try and keep your FS off the OS disc.

You would notice the most difference if you use the SSD for the OS, Windows will start up and shut down a whole lot quicker.

If you put FS on the SSD I doubt whether you would notice any difference. (Been there, done that!)

Cheers,

Joe

I'm thinking about FSX load times - so FSX does not load faster on an SSD?

I've installed it all on SSD at the moment and not really noticed any difference apart from FSX load times are quicker - would putting FSX on a normal disc remove this?

I've never monitored load times for FSX, I just know it gets progressively longer over time as I add and remove add-ons, that's one problem with reviewing you get all sorts of junk left on your disc.

FSX would probably be faster loading but wouldn't make the sim run faster, I was also considering the disc capacity 64Gb is not that much if you have all these mega scenery packs installed.

My PC configuration consists of a 120GB ssd (C: drive) and 2TB hard drive (partitioned to give approx' 1TB - D: + 1TB - E: drives). Win7 & FSX-A are located on C:, FS2004 & most other apps are on D:, and the E: partition is exclusively used for scenery storage. As E: only gets written to when adding new scenery files its data will be unlikely to get fragmented over time.

Win7 is configured so that downloads/documents/pictures etc are stored on the D: drive not on the SSD as would happen in a default configuration.

With this configuration I can fly at mach-1 @ 300 ft and my GenX England/Wales photo scenery remains sharply focused. My previous PC (no ssd) struggled at 200 knots.

It should be noted that SSD read/write times of small or large files do not vary as much as they do in a mechanical hard drive. A fast hard drive will download lots of large files stored sequentionally on its disk almost as fast as from a SSD. Hard drives are very inneficient at storing small data files - for example text files containing just one letter of the alphabet or a small novel will still take up one sector of disk space and have relatively similar read times.

I've been calibrating & repairing disk drives since the late 1960's (when a 4MB disk drive had the size & look of a top loading twin-tub washing machine and required a fork-lift!). Todays disk drives still work on the same basic principles, but I do find the current price/performance/reliability ratios amazing and have always been impressed at how they have always stayed one step ahead of the micro-electronic competition. It does look that in a very near future only server computers will have internal hard drives. In 3-5 years time I suspect that almost all home PCs/laptops will be sold with internal SSD & no hard-drive.

I suspect that future apps including flight sims will only be available in a 'cloud' and we will all be renting time on their use. The concept of personal electronic data storage will become as ***ue and airy-fairy as the cloud itself.

Chhers,

Ray.