I noticed a comment from a developer the other day which said "All I can say is things are really going to be shaping up in FSX" and I was thinking when it all started back in 2006, the criticism that the aces team and developers received on many forums and in many published articles, and now we are just seeing it starting to flourish into a very impressive flight simulator that is now starting to envelope every aspect of flight. You can feel a buzz of excitement regarding FSX and I am sure which will eventual be P3D.

I asked Joe if he remembered a certain horizon forum member from back when it started and he did, we don't know if he is still about but it goes to show what an incredible community that the Microsoft flight simulation product brought together. I think after all this time and in the world of electronic wizardry it is a long time I can say well done Microsoft aces team for giving the developers a platform for them to turn it into what it is today and they did say it was a product of the future.

John

:icon_goodpost:

I agree John, for all the bad press FSX got originally, now the hardware has caught up and FSX is flourishing. The community is fluid and evolving. I have had staff members here who have moved onto other things but there is always someone to take their place on this 6 year old platform. MSFS is the most used flight simulator for real world procedures, there are pretenders with big ideas, but they will never take place of this much loved platform.

Yes the code is "buggy", yes the code is inefficient, but the power of the processor is overcoming that. The next MSFS iteration would have been the icing on the cake as I am sure it would have been 64bit compatible and GPU efficient.

I am hoping P3D will take ESP to the next level, I'm not getting serious about that until V2, then FSX may fade into the distance.

Cheers,

Joe

I just bought a new laptop and I'm seeing things I never saw before with great fps to boot. It's like a whole new FSX being able to run it at higher settings. Orbx scenery looks fantastic but the default scenery is still pretty impressive. Even with the glitches and items that could have been improved if the Aces tean had more time, it is one hell of a program and we get to not only fly in it but play around in it's files too. The fun never ends. :thum:

Signed,

One happy camper :D

Nah - FSX was just a ploy to get us buying multi-core cpu's, water cooling, SSD's, 2nd monitors, ect, ect. When I think about the first computer I used, back in ... (Shuddit! - Ed). :thum:

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

You don't mean a......Shhhhhhhh...conspiracy :P

You know you have a point there it could be the truth! Maybe we should go and pace up and down outside Westminster carrying placards to bring attention to it, but then that would under mind all the hard work that everyone did a still does do to make it what it is now. I think maybe a monument should be erected for all their achievements. The masterpiece that casts a shadow over the Olympic village should be dedicated to them then removed and relocated in Joe's back garden as a thank you for all his efforts and perseverance in developing Mutley's Hanger.

John

Unfortunately, multi-core machines don't do much good with FSX, unless you need more processors to run other things in parallel. FSX pretty much stubbornly confines itself to one processor.

As Mutley noted, the hardware, which was suffering from delusions of adequacy at the time FSX was released, has now charged out well beyond what FSX can use effectively. The hardware helped, but it really is the add-on producers who have kept this thing alive and ever-new and interesting.

John