East Kirkby Aviation Musuem

Hi all!

As I stated in my last RIAT posting, I also went to the East Kirkby Heritage Centre, where a taxiable Lancaster is based. What a sound, I can tell you!

First up is an overall shot of NX611, also registered as G-ASXX on the civil register

P1050567.jpg

Close up of the artwork

P1050568.jpg

Merlin power

P1050575.jpg

Long shot

P1050577.jpg

Tail gunner - one of the coldest and lonely places

P1050582.jpg

Liked the lighting on this one

P1050586.jpg

With a bit of time to kill before the taxi, we went into the hangar, where the remains of a Hurricane are displayed

P1050589.jpg

Selection of parts

P1050595.jpg

A fully-inflated Mosquito main wheel

P1050598.jpg

The remains of a H2S map - very interesting!

P1050599.jpg

Back outside - Engine start!

P1050600.jpg

Brum brum!

P1050611.jpg

P1050614.jpg

P1050617.jpg

Notice anything different?

P1050630.jpg

Can I have one?

P1050633.jpg

Whilst taking shelter in the cafe after the first run, it poured it down. This is the results

P1050636.jpg

The resident DC-3 42-100882, also known as N473DC - cleve eh?

P1050638.jpg

Bent guns

P1050640.jpg

0.5in ammunition

P1050642.jpg

The remains of a Spittie

P1050648.jpg

One of the 8,000lb 'Cookie' blockbuster bombs

P1050651.jpg

A Tallboy bomb - 12,000lbs of aerodynamic perfection

P1050652.jpg

In the foreground are 1,000lbs GP bombs, whilst in the background is a 4,000lb Cookie

P1050653.jpg

Can I have one?

P1050660.jpg

Boing boing

P1050662.jpg

An F.52 camera and an instrument panel from a Halifax I believe

P1050663.jpg

Operation Whitebait tonight folks

P1050670.jpg

Here is your met forcast

P1050671.jpg

Can you see the Lanc?

P1050672.jpg

The scary board - how many wouldn't return?

P1050673.jpg

This is a reconstruction of a Hampden bomber - static display

P1050674.jpg

The second run of the day

P1050678.jpg

P1050680.jpg

P1050684.jpg

It's great being this close to 2 Merlins when they are at near-full blast!

P1050685.jpg

And finally, photo wise, the windsock pole - can you find the hole?

P1050687.jpg

And finally finally - a video taken by my uncle, who was in front of the Lanc at the second run

Enjoy!

This is one place I have wanted to go for a long time, the 2 brothers that own the base and lanc have announced that they intend to get the lanc into flying condition, they already have the engines but are short of a prop or two, so if any of you out there have a prop or 2 lurking in the back yard.

BTW nice pics!

@ Joe - I think that was probably just standard mag checks and possibly prop cycling, though I didn't notice any changes in the apparent blade profiles from the latter. The apparent blade rotation in a video (or an old film movie) produces all kinds of odd illusions that aren't really happening. At one point a couple of the engines look like they stop and re-start in the opposite direction, which of course is impossible without some fancy way to reverse the camshaft gearing, etc. Some marine diesels were capable of that but certainly not these engines.

Great sounds though, eh?

John

when I was a wee nipper we used to fly from the UK to Nigeria ( where my father was posted for a while) and the a/c used back then was an avro York, imagine the noise of flying several legs of 6 or 8 hours? by the time you arrived at your destination you were deaf the a/c back then had precious little insulation of any kind it took you a good day to start talking in normal tones again.

probably one of the reasons i can hear bugger all nowadays!

@John, watched it full screen and it's easier to see what's going on, we used to get this problem with cine cameras, I guess the same is true of digital.

@Britfrog, that must have been a horrendous journey, I've had enough by the time I get to Jersey from Southampton on a Dash 8!

as another little aside to the york flying, back then people dressed properly to go in an a/c the world hadnt been polluted with americans wearing jeans so men wore suits or sunday best and ladies wore dresses. One summer when we had been back to the UK for a holiday as we boarded the York a lady ran up to my mother with a young boy of about 4 as my mother was the only lady on the plane, she asked if my mother would mind if she would chaperone her son to nigeria where he would be met by his father, needless to say my mother agreed and off we flew. Now my father never returned to the uk, so mother had bought an expensive up to the minute top fashionable dress with which to arrive in Lagos, and as luck had it as we passed over the summer storms of Spain said young boy was ill, all over mothers new dress, she was not a happy bunny when we arrived many hours later in Lagos having had to sit there covered in yuk with all the din of the engines,