at what point does fsx stop being a hobby and become an obsession?

Following todays news of another excellent release from ftx/orbyx it made me think about where i want to go with my sim. I am now having to seriously consider what area i want to fly in. Initially i bought all the ftx australia stuff without thinking, after all it was excellent to fly in and experience. then there was the pnw again i bought a few good ones but started to get picky, then new zealand which has superb scenery but few airports of interest so i didnt buy it. but now faced with the uk and europe (where i do most of my simming) i have to really have a long hard look at what i buy and why. so far my investment in ftx is probably over 500£ i have no idea really, add to that a few good a/c like pmdg at just say roughly £60 a pop plus the up and coming 777 plus other a/c from aerosoft plus their airports , and all of a sudden the "investment " is getting quite substantial. tot this all up and add the odd upgrade of the p.c. (Thankfully i havent built a "cockpit" valthough the idea appeals to me), and i discover i could have bought a s/h car for less!!As I expect ftx to issue new temptations on a monthly basis , perhaps 2 per month i feel i have to really focus my mind on where i will buy to add a meaningful addition to my airport stock, and no doubt there are many others out there facing the same problem and dare i say it perhaps ftx sales are starting to suffer as a consequence of their australia today the world tomorrow approach. This is going to have an enormous knock on effect for the companies that produce reasonably good but "average " products as people are going to only release their purse strings for really excellent stuff. And that in turn is going to make the bean counters at these firms rope in the projects.

So as we all have some idea of what we have already invested in our sim, probably without swmbos approval, at which financial point (or other) do you see your hobby becoming an obsession? if of course it hasnt reached that stage already.

It's not like flight simulation is the only expensive hobby around, and it's probably cheaper than most. Motorcycles, photograpy, golf, skiing, RVs, yachts, hunting, fishing, travel, guns, art, gambling, woodworking, diving, skydiving, hi-fi (is that a valid term any more?), amateur radio, real world flying, restoring or racing automobiles and collecting most anything all come with a pretty hefty price tag, depending on the level of immersion. The proverbial cheap hobby is going to be much like hummingbird lips - probably doesn't exist at all but if it does, will be found to be exceedingly rare and small.

I'm pretty deep into FS in both hardware and software but can still say no to new things and often do, so I guess I'm still OK. If you're missing the house payment because you spent the money on FS stuff, then it's safe to say you've got a problem. Short of that kind of thing, I don't think it's worth worrying about. If it weren't this hobby you're spending it on, it would be another.

John

John

What John says. I have invested a lot in FS but luckily my spouse knows. It is a hobby and as such it costs. I also have a classic car and a classic motorcycle. They also costs money.

As long as spouse and babygirl come first there is no problem (and the mortgage obviously).

Having said all that, of course it is an obsession for me!

I follow FS news (daily!), I am on a forum, I attend FS events, I have bought more planes than I can possibly fly, I have been an active member in 2 VA's and probably will be joining one again soon - if I don't set up my own or rekindle one that is dormant since 2006. To top it all off I am working on a little program in relation to FS (will be at least a year before something useful comes out of it, if at all) and had to make a deal with my spouse about the time I can spend behind the computer.

But strangely - I am really not concerned at all. :fool:

• 1 month later...

My first post here. Hi peeps. I second all the opinions above. you dont have to believe me but I'd say, this hobby makes me a better person in some aspects, not 'financially' but it does good things. I started to realise this hobby had become an obsession when completing the regist steps here at MH, this becomes my 5th Flight Simulation Forum in the net.

Respectfully

Welcome to the funhouse. So far it's been cheaper than owning a boat and I get to use it all year round. The views are better too.

Obsessed-check.

Still take care of business at home-check.

Everything in normal range-check.

...when completing the regist steps here at MH, this becomes my 5th Flight Simulation Forum in the net.

And hopefully the best. Welcome aboard.

John

Welcome, hope you have fun with the other addicts. Don't count on us to help you break the habbit!

Welcome to the funhouse. So far it's been cheaper than owning a boat and I get to use it all year round. The views are better too.

Obsessed-check.

Still take care of business at home-check.

Everything in normal range-check.

Thank you sir :)

What brought me here is the entertaining reviews. I actually bought Milviz 310R after reading the review here :thum:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a newbie here, too. But I started flying sims with the original subLogic sim, Flight Sim 1.0 in the mid-80's on an 8088 computer. I'm also a licensed private pilot who can't afford to fly the real stuff anymore. But I love to fly, and after a few years (about 5) of no simming, I re-built my old XP machine with Win 7 64-bit and re-installed FSX. Reloaded FSMeteo, Flight Sim Commander, and Radar Contact. And then I found the A2A Simulations site.

Right now I'm flying their P-51 Accu-Sim model and their B377 Stratocruiser. Already updated all of my textures, bought REX Essential and EZDok and will shortly purchase TrackIR. Got all the controls - Saitek X52 and the rudder pedals to match. Signed up with Vatsim, and installed Squawkbox...getting ready to fly real-time. I may end up loading Prepar3D and giving it a go, too!

And I've never been happier. I'm hooked and I'm ONLY 66, so I've still got a lot of flying to do. As hobbies go, this isn't one of the more expensive ones (unless you pop for the latest and greatest graphics machine and lots of RAM), but it is one of the most enjoyable I've ever had.

Welcome to MH. Sounds like you're doing fine. We're of a similar age and not far apart - I'm in Ocala.

You will not regret TrackIR - great enhancement.

John

I'm just around the corner from you in Deltona. Got some friends over your way. Glad to be here...I'm having fun again!