Ouch!  All the best on all of that.  Keep us in the loop if you are able to.  Cell towers and hot spots and such are usually early casualties when those sorts of things begin to happen. 

I think Brisbane is too far south for crocodiles, but if you decide to do any wading, check with the locals first to see if I'm correct.  That would be a lousy end.

John

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not home yet, Brett.

Doing the Internet watch thing from Singapore while we wait for the overnight flight to Gold Coast. Remember, we are on the other side of the international date line so it is Monday here, but (most likely) Sunday at your location.

Fingers crossed and all pagan gods appeased (beer sacrifice).

Cheers,

March

Bit of an update for any following this thread:

Got back to the boat this morning. All is well. The fellow we had minding the boat was not available by phone during the storm. Evidently even cell phones need power. However, he did a good job so no worries.

Manly is a bit of a mess with stuff all over the roads, trees, seaweed, etc, but no major damage. Some power still out.

Gold Coast Airport was a zoo. Delayed flights arriving all at the same time. We were lucky and got into Customs/Immigration with only a few in the lineup. About 15 minutes later, several triple sevens and some big Airbusiae arrived. Must have been 800 people in the room.

Looking forward to doing some flying.

Cheers,

March

@Joe, thanks for the thought - and you have no idea how close to the mark you are. When I was working for a living, most weeks I got Saturday and Sunday off.

@John, no unpleasant surprises (once I get this &%#@ freezer system up and running). We're planning to ship Passages home to BC. She'll go deck cargo on a container ship. Once we looked at our return (sailing) options, we realised that the costs are about equal and somehow, three months of sailing upwind doesn't get my vote. Negotiating with the shippers in the next week or so. We plan to ship around the end of April as it will take approx a month for the ship to get to Vancouver. Summer doesn't get going in Vancouver until June, so no point in being there beforehand.

Cheers,

March

PS, I'll keep this thread open as I plan to fly the route)s) in my (simulated) 737. Hopefully, it won't take too much to set up. First on the agenda is to purchase the PMDG package and compare it against the iFly. I'm aware that some of the MH rascals are not impressed by the "tube of chairs", but I will be getting a bit long in the tooth if I try the route in a DS3. 

@Joe. Do you concur? Or, should I start a new thread?

March,

I agree on both points, DC2/3 over that distance just shouldn't be attempted by a man of your advanced years! you would keep falling asleep at the 'wheel' ! Yet again, would you understand the technology's of the NGX's?

Seriously, I would keep this post going and complete the story otherwise it would always be unfinished :-)

Cheers,

joe

• 1 month later...

Got the PMDG 737 up and flying this afternoon. It's a bit different than the iFly. Quite possibly a better sim but quite a handful on a laptop with a joystick and a trackball. I need to map some of the views to the joystick or the keyboard as it is almost impossible to keep track using the "A" key while in the VC. 

I did learn one thing of some importance - I missed the line in the manual for Tutorial-1 that remarks disconnecting the AP once on the ground. Took me a while to figure out why the plane kept trying to drive off the right hand side of the taxiway every time I let go of the joystick. Normally, this would not be an issue as the AP is turned off at DH in all the planes I fly. This autoland thing is going to bite me for sure.

That brings up a question; Does anyone know what the thinking is behind Shft-1, Shft-2, etc. Why the Shift key? Makes it a two handed process. Most MS aircraft I can get by with one hand as I'm usually only using the shft-2 and shft-3 while flying. 

I'm going to take the flight planning I did for the 1st leg of our Asian trip and see if I can stuff it into the FMC.

BBack..............