I have used a Saitek AV8R-01 for over six years with no problems. It is just starting to get a little creaky due to my white knuckle grip because of my lack of flying ability. I would again buy their product in the future. I did just install the FSWidgetsGmap and its nice but it cannot be resized which is a minus. Still pretty nice. I have also in the past just used PlanG on one side of the screen while running FSX in windowed mode.

John - go for Hall Effect 'resistors' - no moving parts or hysteresis, so longevity - and don't buy a twist grip if you've got pedals. I'm currently using the Komodo 'Virtual Blade Pro-Cyclic' - designed for rotorcraft but a brilliant 'stick'. Absolutely perfect, but not cheap, I'm afraid.

Good Luck! :thum:

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

Thank you for your input its good to have different opinions on hardware after all it's damned expensive. I have used the Saitek AV8R and its not a bad stick for the price and I was looking at the Saitek X65F HOTAS but still not sure how I would get on with a joystick that didn't move.. Dai, that Komodo 'Virtual Blade Pro-Cyclic'brilliant 'stick' looks an impressive bit of kit would be nice to have a full length joystick.

Right! off to spec savers now after reading the font on my original post I think I need them......

Regards

John

I purchased this one about this time last year: Saitek Pro Flight Cessna Flight Sim Bundle.

I bought it from http://www.marvgolden.com/saitek-pro-flight-cessna-flight-sim-bundle.html

Prior to using this setup I had a Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro and a Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2.

Once I picked up the new Cessna Bundle I felt like a kid in an arcade. Last week I added TrackIR 4 Pro and now all I have to do is A) turn out the lights in my room for night flights, and B) on really windy days I can turn on a fan to simulate the wind noise and/or air flow as I crack my side window open :rofl: JUST KIDDING on the fan part.

I've never flown a GA plane in real life, I've ridden in them a few times and the thing I really enjoy about the sim part is the closeness of the head and the ability to turn on the AP to refill my coffee. :thum:

Happy Flying!

Gus

Still can't decide on joystick, I fancy a go at the saitek X-65F but not sure about the force sensing so need to give it some thought. I will probably invest in a yoke afterwards but joystick is a priority. I think the pedals it will be CH or saitek but saying that I dont think there is much else on the market at a reasonable price range. Thanks for all the input.

John

John,

I tried that joystick on the Saitek stand at Lelystad and I was very, very impressed with it.

Once you get used to the fact it doesn't move, (that takes about 20 seconds), you can change the sensitivity to suit your reactions, I loved it.

Joe

• 4 months later...